Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview šŸ˜Ž

WinForPooh

18 minutes ago, Bilge said:

Those phantom calls on toe jumps were bolder. I was shocked at the kiss and cry when he mentioned it but it was well deserved and still in very cute and polite manner

Ā 

Yeah, that was quite a moment! Actually IĀ just remembered he mentioned the toe jumps for an interview too (something like, he didn't think there was a problem with his toe jumps). ItĀ seems he's very bold this season.

4 minutes ago, Noelle said:

Ā 

Yeah, that was quite a moment! Actually IĀ just remembered he mentioned the toe jumps for an interview too (something like, he didn't think there was a problem with his toe jumps). ItĀ seems he's very bold this season.

yes i was about to put that too because he usually don't talk about those stuff but this one was absurd and not just one element

Another translationĀ  :Ā https://twitter.com/verona_pro_sec/status/1189002620796657666

Ā 

It hurt to see him take SC as a one last chance to see if the path he choose was right or wrong. Im glad he got the reward he deserve and hope its not a one time thing to try to keep him to the competition.Ā 

Of course some people will take it asĀ  he's only complain becauseĀ he's getting old and start losing lol. I'm pretty sure if Yuzuru didn't win SC with 2 great programs, this interview will never see the light. Yuzuru's programs always has good amount of transisions and develop more over the years. Isn't the new system is to award the quality ? I'm not saying he's always underscore or rob. He's got fair score for the most part of his career and sometimes overscored too, it just others is not. This is the man who admit he's overscored at SA2012 and GPF13. And lol that he lied about transisions and taking them out already. Compare to practice, other than the SE before the 3A3T combo, all of his transisions are the same, I think he didn't do the high kick after 4Teu3F in practice either.

Whatever, all the points he raised in this interview are the things happening in FS.Ā Imbalance TES/PCS, everyone and their mother can do 4lz, transisions in and out of jumps are not properly rewarded (remember when his 3a twizzle got almost the same GOE with Jason and Junhwan's telegraph 3A at ACI18). Look at Marin with one of the best SS in the fieldĀ and the most she got isĀ low 8 or Mai's pcs is always stuck at 67 no matter what she does. YuzuruĀ didn't attack anyone, or the system, just a man who wonder about the path he choose and believe.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Katt said:

Another translationĀ  :Ā https://twitter.com/verona_pro_sec/status/1189002620796657666

Ā 

It hurt to see him take SC as a one last chance to see if the path he choose was right or wrong. Im glad he got the reward he deserve and hope its not a one time thing to try to keep him to the competition.Ā 

Of course some people will take it asĀ  he's only complain becauseĀ he's getting old and start losing lol. I'm pretty sure if Yuzuru didn't win SC with 2 great programs, this interview will never see the light. Yuzuru's programs always has good amount of transisions and develop more over the years. Isn't the new system is to award the quality ? I'm not saying he's always underscore or rob. He's got fair score for the most part of his career and sometimes overscored too, it just others is not. This is the man who admit he's overscored at SA2012 and GPF13. And lol that he lied about transisions and taking them out already. Compare to practice, other than the SE before the 3A3T combo, all of his transisions are the same, I think he didn't do the high kick after 4Teu3F in practice either.

Whatever, all the points he raised in this interview are the things happening in FS.Ā Imbalance TES/PCS, everyone and their mother can do 4lz, transisions in and out of jumps are not properly rewarded (remember when his 3a twizzle got almost the same GOE with Jason and Junhwan's telegraph 3A at ACI18). Look at Marin with one of the best SS in the fieldĀ and the most she got isĀ low 8 or Mai's pcs is always stuck at 67 no matter what she does. YuzuruĀ didn't attack anyone, or the system, just a man who wonder about the path he choose and believe.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

vote Yuzu for the president of ISU. I think Yuzu had realised that there's only so much he can do taking all these lying down.Ā 

Ā 

I wonder if they'll ever accept a non-fluent English speaker or someone not from the big fed.Ā 

I was talking to my friend at SCI: that the ridiculous scoring at ACI may have been the silver lining.Ā 

I am hoping that judges and ISUĀ know now, that their scores will be scrutinized and that the audience

will be demanding accountability for scores not just for YuzuĀ 

but all skaters.Ā  Yuzu also subtly indicated that the phantom calls were bulls**t.

Perhaps,Ā Ā ISU has told judges to judge according to the rule books and not by 'feels'?Ā 

Or did ISU decide to reward Yuzu more generously since he also indicated he may be up for Beijing 2020 if he was competitive to win?

It is better that the corrupt scoring be ironed out in a Challenger series that a GP event.

Of course, Yuzu being more frank about the PCS award fiasco, also helps.

I dont know why people may be shocked that Yuzu brings attention to this...why should he just suck it up?

He is ISU's biggest star and moneymaker...ISU should appreciate and value his contributions because the longer Yuzu feels motivated to skate...the brighter ISU's future and prospects.

54 minutes ago, Salior said:

Ā 

vote Yuzu for the president of ISU. I think Yuzu had realised that there's only so much he can do taking all these lying down.Ā 

Ā 

I wonder if they'll ever accept a non-fluent English speaker or someone not from the big fed.Ā 

Haha for me ISU doesn't deserve Yuzuru and i hope he stay away from them. I want to see him continue CiontuĀ after retirement, sold out every shows and those ISU clowns have to see it with their red eyes.Ā 

I think aside from japan, this interview will reach chinese FS community. He has a huge fanbase thereĀ and from what I feel, chinese media have alot of respect for him. They might not speak out at the moment but might take note. I remember there's a big chinese media outlet talk about ACI scoring. As for the western media, I have no hope since they would rather to buy all the hiphop innovation narratives.Ā 

After all, this is just one competition and there's no one come close to Yuzuru's level at SC. Its too early to celebrateĀ if judges truly start give Yuzuru the score he deserve. Things might have change when he compete with Nathan. But anyway, whatever the behind the scene goes, he always need to skate well and land his jumps, its the only way to reduce all the bias against him.Ā 

27 minutes ago, Katt said:

Haha for me ISU doesn't deserve Yuzuru and i hope he stay away from them. I want to see him continue CiontuĀ after retirement, sold out every shows and those ISU clowns have to see it with their red eyes.Ā 

I think aside from japan, this interview will reach chinese FS community. He has a huge fanbase thereĀ and from what I feel, chinese media have alot of respect for him. They might not speak out at the moment but might take note. I remember there's a big chinese media outlet talk about ACI scoring. As for the western media, I have no hope since they would rather to buy all the hiphop innovation narratives.Ā 

After all, this is just one competition and there's no one come close to Yuzuru's level at SC. Its too early to celebrateĀ if judges truly start give Yuzuru the score he deserve. Things might have change when he compete with Nathan. But anyway, whatever the behind the scene goes, he always need to skate well and land his jumps, its the only way to reduce all the bias against him.Ā 

It's making the rounds on Chinese fan forums. I wonder if, since Beijing is hosting Olys, if they might actually be able to lean on the ISU to clean up its act when it comes to scoring before 2022. Of course, it's not just Yuzu, the scoring is completely nonsensical up and down the rankings. Who in their right mind thinks Sasha Trusova has better skating skills than Marin Honda? Compare a bunch of programs that get 8s and you'll find a ridiculously wide range of actual component skills being displayed. The judges score earlier skaters' GOEs as though they only have a limited number of points to give out and have to save them for the final skaters. It's absurd. The Olympic committee might be the only organization with the power to force the ISU change.

Have just caught up.Ā 

Ā 

I am unbelievably angry for him Ā and frustrated for him. And I can only imagine how bad it is to BEĀ him thinking what has made him brilliant and celebrated all these years is devaluing bit by bit.

Ā 

I agree with @KattĀ that itā€™s too soon to celebrate. SCI was just one competition and the scores he got were due in large part to the fact that his errors were small and the show stopping elements - 4T, combo, and 4S to lesser extent were pristine/ great.

Ā 

I also think JMO that as a set of programs, Origin and Otonal, donā€™t capture the imagination of the judges. The flavour of the month is hip hop modern whatever, never mind that itā€™s more dancing than actual skating. And it doesnā€™t help that heā€™s repeating. Thatā€™s why I think he needs to be pristine to create the wow momentum, when lesser skaters can coast on crowd pleasing music and choreography to create hype for themselves.

Ā 

i totally agree this needs to be seen and picked up by western media. I remember going on [admin edit: don't call out other platforms]Ā and seeing one critical comment that Hanyu was boring because he never says anything and isnā€™t accessible. I mean WTF?!Ā He talks all the time. You just need to pay attention.

Ā 

Getting the interview circulated in Twitter is a start. This should be seen by Ambessi,Ā Rutherford, McCarvel etc. Iā€™m not on Twitter, but someone could send them the tweets or links. I mean, the top dog in your sport, the one whoā€™s always respectful and polite, is spilling some really spicy tea. I canā€™t imagine how this is NOT newsworthy. Heck, we should even let T*L know. Even Dave was surprisingly complimentary about Yuzu in their latest show.

Ā 

Ā 

On 10/29/2019 at 4:12 AM, shanshani said:

It's making the rounds on Chinese fan forums. I wonder if, since Beijing is hosting Olys, if they might actually be able to lean on the ISU to clean up its act when it comes to scoring before 2022. Of course, it's not just Yuzu, the scoring is completely nonsensical up and down the rankings. Who in their right mind thinks Sasha Trusova has better skating skills than Marin Honda? Compare a bunch of programs that get 8s and you'll find a ridiculously wide range of actual component skills being displayed. The judges score earlier skaters' GOEs as though they only have a limited number of points to give out and have to save them for the final skaters. It's absurd. The Olympic committee might be the only organization with the power to force the ISU change.

I don't know if we could rely on Beijing. Its too soon, just 2nd season of the whole quad. I think we should see how next year GPF goes, and if CSA would start any campaign for Boyang. And if Yuzuru decide to go for Beijing, things would be chaos. Olys schedule is not out yet but if FSĀ need to compete in the morning once again for NBC's sake of rating, nothing would change.Ā 

Ā 

On 10/29/2019 at 7:16 AM, Sukigirl said:

I also think JMO that as a set of programs, Origin and Otonal, donā€™t capture the imagination of the judges. The flavour of the month is hip hop modern whatever, never mind that itā€™s more dancing than actual skating. And it doesnā€™t help that heā€™s repeating. Thatā€™s why I think he needs to be pristine to create the wow momentum, when lesser skaters can coast on crowd pleasing music and choreography to create hype for themselves.

Ā 

i totally agree this needs to be seen and picked up by western media. I remember going on [admin edit: don't call out other platforms]Ā and seeing one critical comment that Hanyu was boring because he never says anything and isnā€™t accessible. I mean WTF?!Ā He talks all the time. You just need to pay attention.

Ā 

Getting the interview circulated in Twitter is a start. This should be seen by Ambessi,Ā Rutherford, McCarvel etc. Iā€™m not on Twitter, but someone could send them the tweets or links. I mean, the top dog in your sport, the one whoā€™s always respectful and polite, is spilling some really spicy tea. I canā€™t imagine how this is NOT newsworthy. Heck, we should even let T*L know. Even Dave was surprisingly complimentary about Yuzu in their latest show.

Ā 

I don't think his programs are problem. At least at SC, its not a problem since he received very high pcs for the first GP (almost the same as his pcs at PC). The whole hiphop mordern is purely a PR talk to push the narratives to influence the judges. ItĀ worked because its from the western media. But look at those programs from Eteri's girls that choreo don't match the music at all, it doesn't stop judges giving them candies.Ā Imo, great skates back to back create momentum. Yuzuru need to skate well, especially clean SP.Ā 

Ā 

I don't think western media would pick it up. Even in japanese media, there's only 2 platforms published this interview, with one of them cut out the lutz part. And this is Yuzuru with all the media attention we're talking about. No wonder most skaters wouldn't dare to raise their voice about judging because the mentality that "judges never wrong, its you who should try harder" is too strong. Lots ofĀ  japanese casual FS fan consider his interview as a big step and he's brave. Of course there's also some people paint him asĀ sore loser right away, lots of other skater's fans got angry with his words because they think he shade their faves. AndĀ remember Adam Rippon quickly dismiss the korean's article about Eunsoo because lol its korean, those US journalists would be no different. When its come from Nathan's biggest rival, who knows that they could edit/twist thing and use it against Yuzuru. As for TSL, don't trust them. They just praise Yuzuru because he did well and they need clicks. I still remember after SC15, they bashed Yuzuru and said he has no star power like Javi but NHK15 happened and suddenly they're the fanyu lol

Ā 

To sum up, its just a sad and tricky situation overall.Ā 

I do believe that deep in his heart Yuzu wanted to address all these issues in Saitama already, but he knew that the timing was not ideal at all. People would have come up with "HanyuĀ is just a bad loser and criticises the system, because he can't win otherwise anymore."

The frustration, the doubts, the fears. ItĀ must have burned in him all the time and the mad ACI judging justĀ fueled these thoughts and feelings. I'm sure, he couldn't wait to produce quick results and speak everything from his soul.Ā This makes his performance at Skate Canada extra special and I'm veryĀ happy for himĀ :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Ā 

PS: I'm still worried about the judging in the next competitions. Especially US Nationals seems to be a crucial turning point, where everything escalates... well, let's wait and see...Ā :popcorn: