Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview 😎

WinForPooh

3 minutes ago, Salior said:

This shade is so real it deserves a thread of its own tbh. Needs to be immortalised 

hard agree. plus this is relevant to skating in general

although he probably delivers the most polite shade ever

now I'm going to congratulate myself that I use clean toe-tap technique on my half-flip and half-lutz. although how would you even excessively PR a half-flip/lutz, the rotation would be done before you even get off the ice

On October 28th 2019, Yuzu gave an interview to Sponichi after winning Skate Canada.

(Original article here, please click and give them views!)

A brief summary is as below (my edits in bracket)

4 hours ago, shanshani said:

So somethings that stand out now that we have a better translation:

1. Yuzu is worried about the trend towards increased technical difficulty (and its) impact on everyone's health.

2. He tried to prove that you can do well with a slightly lower difficulty layout if you include performance, and so reduce the trend towards maximum difficulty. 

3. He does feel reassured by the SCI scores

4. He's, well, not entirely firm, but certainly leaning towards the opinion that excessively PR lutzes aren't really lutzes, more than it initially seemed

5. Same doubts about judges evaluating steps in and out of jumps as before

Here's a translation of the article in English 

Spoiler

Reproduced on text in Reddit here

Spoiler

Translation in Chinese

Spoiler

Yuzu had mentioned the idea of a "true Lutz". To elaborate, a skater has explained the mechanism in the thread below. 

Here's part 2 (please click to give them views!) and the translation below

Spoiler

3 時間前, Bilgeさんが言いました:

Here is another translation (by multiple people's collaboration). I think its clearer

I think this translation is pretty accurate about the "things only you can do" part. Just one thing I interpreted differently is:
    なかなか4回転ルッツに対してのルッツのジャンプじゃないのかもしれないですけど。
    In regard to the 4Lz, it may no longer be a lutz jump.

Now this is really tough to interpret and only he knows what he really meant, but from the context I would translate this way:
     It might not be the (suitable) way of jumping a lutz when going for a 4lz.

About 下で回る(to rotate down there), I’m pretty sure he meant pre-rotation, but he avoided that word.

Edit: Sorry, I realized my translation above could be confusing! I should’ve said:

It(=my method) might not be the (suitable) way of jumping a lutz when going for a 4lz.

UGHH I really wish ANY news site would pick this up and translate it, so it gets the attention it deserves since "non-English news are not trustable" lol 

Even stuff like Hersh's articles are quoted in wiki. Or the trashy article about old ladies commenting on Yuzu that made its way into CBC's videos. 

I sometimes wish we have our own publishing website, so we can have things that look legitimate, because apparently "having a website increases your credibility 10000x more than forums" even though the author might suck. We have so much info but so little power, ISU won't believe us and will claim that "we're just making stuff up" when we say there's bias and issues in judging. 

2 minutes ago, Salior said:

I sometimes wish we have our own publishing website, so we can have things that look legitimate, because apparently "having a website increases your credibility 10000x more than forums" even though the author might suck. We have so much info but so little power, ISU won't believe us and will claim that "we're just making stuff up" when we say there's bias and issues in judging. 

lol same but (1) i can't translate and (2) i don't know how to make it look unbiased

it would have to be called something unrelated to Hanyu 

maybe if a translator wanted to help me out i could make a site with these translations =D

17 hours ago, Salior said:

What he said really struck an important subject - that the techniques you learn when you start skating stays with you and can't be changed easily. And nowadays what do coaches teach young skaters? Pre-rotate their Lz 180˚ because they see how it's being heavily rewarded. We already heard anecdotes from different countries. 

Now we have Yuzu who couldn't pre-rotate even if he wanted to, what's next, a new generation of skater who can't jump the proper technique even if they wanted to? Pre-rotation inherently runs the risk of injury due to the reduced takeoff speed from rotating the blade on ice. How long can the skater stay small and tiny enough to overcome this? How many skaters will be plagued with injury and tossed aside 2 years after they went senior?  Figure skating fans stay when skaters have long careers, the most famous of those competed for 5-6 years to attract the following they had. FS will lose even more fans when their favourites can't even stay in competition for more than a few years. 

• WinForPooh changed the title to Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview 😎
8 minutes ago, Lily* said:

I think this translation is pretty accurate about the "things only you can do" part. Just one thing I interpreted differently is:
    なかなか4回転ルッツに対してのルッツのジャンプじゃないのかもしれないですけど。
    In regard to the 4Lz, it may no longer be a lutz jump.

Now this is really tough to interpret and only he knows what he really meant, but from the context I would translate this way:
     It might not be the (suitable) way of jumping a lutz when going for a 4lz.

About 下で回る(to rotate down there), I’m pretty sure he meant pre-rotation, but he avoided that word.

Again my utmost respect to Yuzuru expressing his view in scoring and jumping but always politely ,firm and confident too but never rude!

thank you for sharing .

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

lol same but (1) i can't translate and (2) i don't know how to make it look unbiased

it would have to be called something unrelated to Hanyu 

maybe if a translator wanted to help me out i could make a site with these translations =D

went off topic here

Spoiler

We have plenty on twitter it seems! Lae, Blueflames for Yuzu, yuzueco, tsukihoshi (who translated Aoi Hono II), and I'm sure plenty of people here would love to help (I've cited a suggestion above). Some of them are already working together for translation and subbing here https://twitter.com/axelwithwings, this article really brought everyone together. There's also IronKlaus, Juronom, shinjiistarr, and a lot others, I used to have a list of translators rip. IronKlaus regularly translates non Yuzu stuff too 

You're very good at this haha, I still feel sorry for stopping contributing and skating portal flopping last time. Hope there'll be enough people committed to help to pool translated stuff together across platforms, bit sad how decentralised the English fandom is but I understand people are busy. I think I mentioned this before but a lot of them wanted to contribute to their own platforms

So many things can go in there - for translated news we can have gladii's translations from tumblr and a LOT of translated articles on twitter, for blogs we can have the Origin / H&L analysis, Chibura's skating analysis on Yuzu and many others (she deleted her tumblr site which was sad, seems like she would love to work with an illustrator to put her explanations across more easily though). Maybe if the Russian fans want they can translate their stuff too lol. But yea the site has to be unbiased. 

Name it Skating Portal again? lol

Maybe we can start with translation of official news first then see how it goes after that.

• WinForPooh changed the title to Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview 😎