Who is your favorite female skater?

Vote!  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 15/05/2017 at 3:39 PM, Puniyo said:

Sometimes you just like a skater and don't have to have concrete reasons for it... just like how Mai Mihara stole my heart this year :P

I saw Mai at ACI last month - her Free Skate blew me away - what a beautiful, sensitive figure skater she is; hers was the only programme and skating that elicited my tears (and I saw Yuzu's magnificent Chopin Ballade, Moir and Virtue's dramatic,stunning Moulin Rouge  programme, and the beautiful pairs programmes by Meagan and Eric and the French couple) Mai's skating shone ✨yet she didn't win 🥈😞 I LOVED IT ❤️

On 10/5/2017 at 8:36 PM, Pamyu said:

I saw Mai at ACI last month - her Free Skate blew me away - what a beautiful, sensitive figure skater she is; hers was the only programme and skating that elicited my tears (and I saw Yuzu's magnificent Chopin Ballade, Moir and Virtue's dramatic,stunning Moulin Rouge  programme, and the beautiful pairs programmes by Meagan and Eric and the French couple) Mai's skating shone ✨yet she didn't win 🥈😞 I LOVED IT ❤️

Oh I haven't had the chance yet to check her FS this season but I'll definitely do it soon. She might be a little rough on the edges but she does have charisma on the ice and that sensitiveness that you have mentioned in your comment. Both her programs this season also show a good contrast and The Mission (I still call it Nella Fantasia) is one of my favorite music pieces ever! Also, her costumes and image is always spot on :P 

• 2 years later...

I started watching Figure Skating because of Sasha Cohen, but after some time started thinking her programs were somewhat repetitive (it felt like it was always the same components and music layout). Nowadays, I really like Kamila Valieva, she’s a Junior Russian figure skater.

I was wondering if everyone still have the same female skaters favorites and who are your new ones.

(English is not my mother language, so sorry for any mistakes).

I also got into skating via ladies' (and Yuna/Mao) but the recent ladies' field has been mostly uninspiring to me, I'm firmly team Japan :img_21: My favorites are Kaori, Rika, Satoko, Mai... I also really enjoy watching Korean ladies and some "lower" ranking skaters like Emmi Peltonen and Ivett Toth :)

The first time i properly watched FS is Yuna's James Bond in Vancouver and it was great! Then i got to know Yuzu and other skaters and watched a lot of skates. When i'm more invested i got more picky and now just watch skaters i like in my free time. I watch Mao, Yulia, Caro most among retired skaters, Kaori, Alyona and Tomoe Kawabata among current skaters. I love skaters with great flow!

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

That's figure skating! Superb! Do you think she can still progress on height and type of jumps? They are really beautiful in slow motion though.

Waka has the highest jump of any lady recorded by ice scope (2019 Japanese Nationals, 3lz FS combo)

so height wise I’m not sure she really has a problem. She also has 3A but is yet to land it in competition. I’m sure we would have seen it at Worlds if it hadn’t been cancelled. 

Her main weaknesses are her flip edge (or federation, depending on how you look at it) and lack of transitions, especially in her FS this season. I’m still holding out hope that she’ll switch coaches. There was a rumour after 2017-18 season that she would train at TCC but nothing ever came of it. A lot of people rightly point out that TCC isn’t a cure all for every skater but I think she’d fit so well there. She’s so so so talented, I wish she’d take that next step. 

As an old timer, one of my favorite ladies is Oksana Baiul.  In the context of Tonya Harding kerfuffle, I recall Oksana as a breath of fresh air - bringing art back into the competition that was turning into a circus.  In my eyes she was one of the most balletic figure skater of all times.   She had great edge jumps, too - sal and loops and double axel.   Her technical elements are nowhere near the level of the current skaters, but her lovely and intricate arm movements always moved me.  I particularly love her short programme at 1994 Olympics.  She performed the Dying Swan as her Ex.   

On 3/29/2020 at 9:21 PM, SparkleSalad said:

Waka has the highest jump of any lady recorded by ice scope (2019 Japanese Nationals, 3lz FS combo)

so height wise I’m not sure she really has a problem. She also has 3A but is yet to land it in competition. I’m sure we would have seen it at Worlds if it hadn’t been cancelled. 

Her main weaknesses are her flip edge (or federation, depending on how you look at it) and lack of transitions, especially in her FS this season. I’m still holding out hope that she’ll switch coaches. There was a rumour after 2017-18 season that she would train at TCC but nothing ever came of it. A lot of people rightly point out that TCC isn’t a cure all for every skater but I think she’d fit so well there. She’s so so so talented, I wish she’d take that next step. 

I heard that she was all set to move to TCC that summer but after winning the World Silver medal, she decided she didn't need to. I agree, there's so much talent there that I wish she did. But I respect that not every skater can move to a completely new country away from family, friends, culture, language, etc. there's more to life than skating....

• 3 years later...