ISU Announces Live Streaming of GP Events and ISU Championships on Youtube

39 minutes ago, tafattsbarn said:

There are ways to get around that though :>

I'm happy there will be a stable (fingers crossed) option for everyone now! Credit where credit is due to the ISU for this one. They could do one better if the competitions were archived so you could go back and watch. Regardless though, this will hopefully help make the sport much more accessible. 

Another good thing would be blocked chat and comments. -- __ --

2 hours ago, Yuzu Strawberry Lemon said:

How?? I'd love to know how!

There is a payed streaming service where I am, but I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the price! It's like three times the price of what eurosport was...*sigh*

The simplest way is as usual to use a VPN, proxy server or smart DNS (with a paid, as opposed to free, VPN being the safest and most secure option of the three). You can also access geoblocked content through ToR if you understand how to navigate that c: 

Edit: How did i forget to mention proxtube :0 Anyways, proxtube is one of the simplest ways to remove geoblocking on youtube :> 

Good news, streaming on YouTube will make the Grand Prix series, Europeans, Four Continents and Worlds more available to fans worldwide. The press release doesn't mention if it's free, I hope it'll be like it is with the Junior GP events. 

I also hope they'll have an archive and they'll upload all videos after the events. I wonder if the stream will have commentary if they'll stream without it. I'd be happy for the latter but it's possible ISU will provide English speaking commentary, we'll see it soon.

Europeans and Worlds are usually broadcasted on the national TV channel in my country so if they have the broadcasting rights for this season then I'll be able to watch those two competitions on TV. If not, I can watch all competitions on Youtube.

46 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Good news, streaming on YouTube will make the Grand Prix series, Europeans, Four Continents and Worlds more available to fans worldwide. The press release doesn't mention if it's free, I hope it'll be like it is with the Junior GP events. 

I also hope they'll have an archive and they'll upload all videos after the events. I wonder if the stream will have commentary if they'll stream without it. I'd be happy for the latter but it's possible ISU will provide English speaking commentary, we'll see it soon.

If they really want to promote figure skating worldwide and win new fans, it doesn't make much sense to create a pay-streaming channel on YouTube. If I weren't a diehard figure skating fan, I wouldn't pay for a channel that shows skating videos only. (I'm not even sure, if I paid for it as a fan.)

I literally stumbled across the GPF 2016 and Yuzu's Notte Stellata EX, when I zapped randomly through my TV channels. It was beautiful to watch, so I googled his next live competition, read his Wiki entry and searched for old performances on YT. That's how everything started.

If there's no TV broadcast, you can only stumble across figure skating in your YouTube suggestions. So ISU needs archive clips of the best performances with high viewing numbers to introduce the sport to new potential fans.

That's why I do believe that it will be free. (I might overestime the ISU, though.)

3 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Too bad they didn't announce this before I wasted money on that stupid NBC Gold, but I suppose that was the point.  I don't blame the ISU in this case since I understand they need to prioritize the sport's financial interests, but I'm annoyed at myself because I don't even like NBC Gold but I decided that I'd rather pay the money that supports this shoddy product than learn something useful when I didn't even need it yet.  Now I need to get off my lazy butt and finally figure out this VPN business.

Is NBC Gold streaming all GPs?

3 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

OMG! YES! :smiley-happy093:

I just hope that Europe will be covered by that, but I do think so.:bunny-smiley:

And it will be free! I actually expected that there would be a paid streaming service. :studsmatta:

Thank you for the news! I was checking any news on broadcasting just a few hours ago and there was still nothing. I was starting to panic just a little bit because the GPs are starting in three days. And Skate Canada in ten days... :smiley-excited001:

I hope that they also broadcast practices! Please also broadcast practices!!! :smiley-angelic001:

I was checking italian tv and there's no trace of FS so hopefully youtube wonìt be geoblockerd....(if it is well there's always VPN.)

I hope it's free but even if it's not i'm ready to pay the fee if it's reasonable....4,99€ for eurosport player were really good so if it's something affordable why not?

3 hours ago, andchipzz said:

wait what about commentary? will it be something like ISU chosen commentators?

Ted come on you know we need you!

I wonder why they still didn't say the list of countries with no tv rights tho,it sounds like a last minute thing.

12 minutes ago, kiches said:

I suspect the YouTube stream will be geoblocked for US since NBC has the broadcast and streaming rights. Probably same for other countries that a company already has rights. 

Yeah, viasat bought the rights for the Nordic countries so it'll probably be blocked here too. It's really expensive when you just watch figure skating though so i'd rather invest in a good vpn or use proxtube and still watch through youtube. 

13 minutes ago, mercedes said:

I was checking italian tv and there's no trace of FS so hopefully youtube wonìt be geoblockerd....(if it is well there's always VPN.)

I hope it's free but even if it's not i'm ready to pay the fee if it's reasonable....4,99€ for eurosport player were really good so if it's something affordable why not?

Oh, 4.99€ for eurosport sounds like a dream, viasat is like $30 a month. Of course that includes other winter sports, but it's kind of useless when you only watch figure skating. 

5 minutes ago, tafattsbarn said:

Yeah, viasat bought the rights for the Nordic countries. It's really expensive just for figure skating though so i'd rather invest in a good vpn or use proxtube and still watch through youtube. 

$4.99 for eurosport sounds like a dream, viasat is like $30 a month. Of course that includes other winter sports, but it's kind of useless when you only watch figure skating. 

yep it was really cheap(this is year is 7,99 per month but still)....viasat sounds like sky ,way too much especially for someone like me who only watch FS...I'd rather invest in a good vpn.

But oh well we'll see....I hopethey'll archive tho,like for JGP.

and Max has indeed found other ways to talk about FS(and winter sports in general)

20 minutes ago, memae said:

Wait. Does this mean we miss out on the uncles for GP?

:( 

Is the UK affected, too? I would miss Simon and Chris, also Max and Angelo and many other iconic European voices...

However. IF the ISU uploaded individual performances as 6-8 min. long YT clips like the Olympic Channel, this would be pretty effective to up the view numbers.

Currently we have 10-20 different uploads of the same Yuzu performance with views in the 10,000s (maybe 100,000s). Imagine how many views an official clip would have that everyone watches... I think, we could get a bunch of +1M videos, aye?

:clapclap4:

EDIT: Maybe the regio-restrictions will be a problem...

52 minutes ago, mercedes said:

I wonder why they still didn't say the list of countries with no tv rights tho,it sounds like a last minute thing.

I followed their instructions and I subscribed also for emails letting me know if their broadcasts are geoblocked in my country. They already sent me a confirmation email. Now, we wait...

6 minutes ago, IULIANA said:

I followed their instructions and I subscribed also for emails letting me know if their broadcasts are geoblocked in my country. They already sent me a confirmation email. Now, we wait...

I subscribed too but no confirmation...ah ISU what to do with you uh?:rolleyes: