ISU Announces Live Streaming of GP Events and ISU Championships on Youtube

ISU has announced today that they're going to stream 2019/20 Grand Prix events and ISU Championships (Europeans, Four Continents, World Championships) live on YouTube. The full announcement is here: 

https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/145-news/12726-isu-events-live-on-youtube?templateParam=15

Let's discuss the announcement & everything related to it here.

5 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

The skating season starts this week with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series in Las Vegas (USA) which will be the first Senior event available on the Skating ISU YouTube Channel this season.

Over 110 competition days will be live streamed with the goal to increase accessibility and visibility of ISU Sports worldwide, particularly in markets where there is no broadcaster. Although the live stream will be available in a number of countries, geo-restrictions will apply in markets where TV rights are in place.

The ISU will be publishing a “Where to watch” news with details of the geo-blocked territories ahead of each series and/or Event.

34 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

OMG! YES! :smiley-happy093:

I just hope that Europe will be covered by that, but I do think so.:bunny-smiley:

And it will be free! I actually expected that there would be a paid streaming service. :studsmatta:

Thank you for the news! I was checking any news on broadcasting just a few hours ago and there was still nothing. I was starting to panic just a little bit because the GPs are starting in three days. And Skate Canada in ten days... :smiley-excited001:

I hope that they also broadcast practices! Please also broadcast practices!!! :smiley-angelic001:

32 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Best news ever :smiley-happy093:

Youtube is the only platform that I can get stable streams on because of my crappy interenet. Having an official and legal stream on Youtube is a dream come true. I am even willing to pay for it if needed.

Too bad they didn't announce this before I wasted money on that stupid NBC Gold, but I suppose that was the point.  I don't blame the ISU in this case since I understand they need to prioritize the sport's financial interests, but I'm annoyed at myself because I don't even like NBC Gold but I decided that I'd rather pay the money that supports this shoddy product than learn something useful when I didn't even need it yet.  Now I need to get off my lazy butt and finally figure out this VPN business.

19 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Well, they say it will be geoblocked. It can easily mean nothing for many of us.

There are ways to get around that though :>

I'm happy there will be a stable (fingers crossed) option for everyone now! Credit where credit is due to the ISU for this one. They could do one better if the competitions were archived so you could go back and watch. Regardless though, this will hopefully help make the sport much more accessible. 

26 minutes ago, tafattsbarn said:

There are ways to get around that though :>

I'm happy there will be a stable (fingers crossed) option for everyone now! Credit where credit is due to the ISU for this one. They could do one better if the competitions were archived so you could go back and watch. Regardless though, this will hopefully help make the sport much more accessible. 

How?? I'd love to know how!

There is a payed streaming service where I am, but I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the price! It's like three times the price of what eurosport was...*sigh*