sallycinnamon

[2019] CS Finlandia Trophy (11-13.10 2019)

I think Tuk got pretty underscored on her GOE's.  I can understand not giving her the extras, but every one of those jumps except for the edge call should have been a minimum of 3.  She doesn't stalk her jumps any worse than a lot of skaters and the actual take off is good so the hunchyness before the jump shouldn't be affecting the GOE.  I would even give her body position since the body position bullet is supposed to be from take-off to landing, not the prep.

eta: and the 2a combo wasn't very good. But still. the other jumps should be 3-4 GOE.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm being a Tuktik hater...I like that she has her own unique style, but I guess I'm just pessimistic about her chances given the advantages the other Russian ladies have in both TES and PCS.

1 hour ago, happy_fish said:

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm being a Tuktik hater...I like that she has her own unique style, but I guess I'm just pessimistic about her chances given the advantages the other Russian ladies have in both TES and PCS.

Not at all.  There's nothing wrong with recognizing that a skater has both strengths and weaknesses and it creates much more interesting conversation than putting up blinders.

I enjoy watching Tuk a lot but I put her in my guilty pleasures category because I know that there are glaring weaknesses there.  I don't think her PCS will ever improve significantly with Mishin.  He's one of the all time great jump coaches but his students have always been weak in other areas.  Even when he was training Urmanov/Yagudin/Plushenko I always thought that he should be part of a coaching team.  He's clearly a talented coach at building technical skills, but he needs someone to help finish his students - Yagudin improved so much when he went to Tarasova. 

I wish Tuk had done this years before because it would have given Medvedeva no chance of dominating. Now it may be too late - the technical progress has caught up with her. 

You know the program is truly "cheap" esp when a skater with amazing ss and presentation like Alena couldn't hide its cheapness :facepalm:. But she skated it with so much energy and seemed to have fun so I'm conflicted :knc_brian3:. She landed 2 3As at first try and the rest was all clean, what an amazing senior debut! I've liked her all along, so very happy that she's making good progress. Hope she stays healthy thru out the season and keep delivering <3

Just watched Alena’s program. Oh my. What an atrocity, sorry for being candid about it. Just a mash of barely related parts. 

I didn't like Alena's music cut at test skates - seems to be totally random songs, today I liked it more or maybe she sold it better, at least the program seems fun and her skating looked easy.

Ladies battle for GPF will be interesting!

1 hour ago, Fay said:

Just watched Alena’s program. Oh my. What an atrocity, sorry for being candid about it. Just a mash of barely related parts. 

She is so much better than what she's being given...  but it seems if you're with Eteri, you get Daniil too and he's not really evolving as a choreographer.... too bad for her.