Nobunari Oda resigns as coach from Kansai University due to "moral harassment"

This whole situation is giving me a heartache.. but the fact that Nobu speaks up like this, and reaches out to international fans will really help him out in this situation. There is no way the institution can just sweep the situation under the rug with how widespread Nobu's situation is, and the revelation comes in the wave of athletes speaking up against harassment. For someone of Nobu's calibre, he is not just an ex-athlete but he is also a public figure.

@ralucutzagy I think it's.... the wrong thread:10814716:

anyway another update on Nobu&Kandai

and this

which changes? What did Nobu want? It looks like Nobu didn't like something in coaching methods (possibly Hamada's, who, other than Satoko, Rika and Yuna, has promising jr like Mana and Azusa and coaches a rather large group of very young skaters) and he wanted to change some things, but what things?

It is very concerning to me. I don't think a disagreement in opinion could be perceived as prolonged psycological harassment...

Hamada afaik has some methods in common with Eteri, like insisting on repetitions (iirc Satoko or Rika talked about this, and I remember  worrying about stress injuries), but idk what else she does. I believe she is "demanding", but thus far which other info we have?

(Nobu is a retired skater, should we move to the other thread? but what happened is likely also related to training environment of currently competing skaters...)

ETA: add this

so only confirmed(is it? is that tabloid reliable? I have no idea) thing is that there was a disagreement with Hamada, but we still don't know if Hamada was the harasser or there was someone else who brought the disagreement further...

(ngl, for my peace of mind I hope Hamada isn't the "bad guy" here, but if she is, I want to know)

EDIT again

tbh this sounds rather..."tame" compared to other things I am thinking about

still, was the harassment related to this? Disagreement is one thing, negatively pressuring someone is another...

5 hours ago, LadyLou said:

still, was the harassment related to this? Disagreement is one thing, negatively pressuring someone is another...

This is such a minor issue...
Well, I guess at Japan Open media will have a lot of opportunities to ask Hamada about it.

9 時間前, andchipzzさんが言いました:

Media assumes that it is Hamada. We need to wait for Nobu to tell his story in detail.

I agree. I read the magazine at the convenience store today, and personally the way Hamada talked about Oda was...I don't know, I just didn't like it. HOWEVER, as long as Oda and his agency don't want to (or maybe they can't) reveal the details, this story will not go anywhere. I watched a TV program called "Gogosuma" this afternoon and one of the people at the studio was speculating Oda's agency could not tell us the details because they might be thinking of bringing it to the court, but I highly doubt it. 

I really hope this whole issue will not affect current skaters at Kansai university.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:38 AM, LadyLou said:

@ralucutzagy I think it's.... the wrong thread:10814716:

anyway another update on Nobu&Kandai

and this

which changes? What did Nobu want? It looks like Nobu didn't like something in coaching methods (possibly Hamada's, who, other than Satoko, Rika and Yuna, has promising jr like Mana and Azusa and coaches a rather large group of very young skaters) and he wanted to change some things, but what things?

It is very concerning to me. I don't think a disagreement in opinion could be perceived as prolonged psycological harassment...

Hamada afaik has some methods in common with Eteri, like insisting on repetitions (iirc Satoko or Rika talked about this, and I remember  worrying about stress injuries), but idk what else she does. I believe she is "demanding", but thus far which other info we have?

(Nobu is a retired skater, should we move to the other thread? but what happened is likely also related to training environment of currently competing skaters...)

ETA: add this

so only confirmed(is it? is that tabloid reliable? I have no idea) thing is that there was a disagreement with Hamada, but we still don't know if Hamada was the harasser or there was someone else who brought the disagreement further...

(ngl, for my peace of mind I hope Hamada isn't the "bad guy" here, but if she is, I want to know)

EDIT again

This seems like a strange thing to bully someone over. Every coach I've ever known, in any sport, has always emphasized the importance of keeping up with school and getting an education. On the surface of it, there's nothing strange about Nobu insisting on this. 

I suspect this is only the tip of the iceberg...

I suspect it's more than just one person that contributed to the moral harassment situation   In the past year, there has been a large number of exposes in Japan of other major university sports clubs exercising power harrassment over coaches and athletes.  There is an institutional culture in Japan that has allowed institutions to behave in a dictatorial fashion with little or no transparency and no avenue for complaints or whistleblowing.  In such a context, the whole institution is complicit in undermining the voice one of one in order to protect/favor another.  

In the past, this culture was considered normal and condoned by the public.  But today the Japanese public is showing strong aversion to these practices and the media is slowly becoming more willing to investigate into these allegations.  Still quite timid though, and there may be some reluctance to confront major power houses like Kandai (short for Kansai Daigaku).  

BTW, it must really irk Kandai leadership that they have not been able to produce olympic champions despite their powerful position.   

Official comment by JSF.

"As a federation, we can no do anything about it. It's the problem of Kansai University, and Oda-kun is not a registered athlete in our federation. We are not in the position to make comments on the issue."

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191003-00000137-dal-spo

At least, they answered the media :dozey: (but of course, they answered only because they were asked in the public.)

22 minutes ago, yude said:

Official comment by JSF.

"As a federation, we can no do anything about it. It's the problem of Kansai University, and Oda-kun is not a registered athlete in our federation. We are not in the position to make comments on the issue."

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191003-00000137-dal-spo

At least, they answered the media :dozey: (but of course, they answered only because they were asked in the public.)

idiots

Nobu, coach with Javier for Spain. Maybe they will respect you.

Oh, you know the technicality of it, as in they were messing Nobu up not in their direct capacity as JSF officials, but *just* as Kansai Uni officials :v :v :v

...which ofc doesn't excuse JSF from handling this affair, because... shouldn't JSF be allowed to take over on regulating to speak of it in  broad strokes a skating club if said skating club has a problem? (I mean, they ought to? As the organization with the highest level of authority regarding the sport and the management of it, surely they ought to straighten up things, should problems ever arise?)

Oh wait, bold of me to assume that those impotent dullards even have authority to begin with! :rofl: