Nobunari Oda resigns as coach from Kansai University due to "moral harassment"

Nobunari Oda has made a blog post about his leaving his coaching position at Kansai University. He says he was suffering 'moral harassment' on the job and the university wouldn't do anything about it. The media falsely reported on it and said he was too busy to continue. I would say "who would treat a person like Nobu that way?" but as we see from recent discussions around the fandom, some don't need much of an excuse to mistreat or harass good people. :( 

https://ameblo.jp/oda-nobunari/entry-12531037719.html 

7 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Nobunari Oda has made a blog post about his leaving his coaching position at Kansai University. He says he was suffering 'moral harassment' on the job and the university wouldn't do anything about it. The media falsely reported on it and said he was too busy to continue. I would say "who would treat a person like Nobu that way?" but as we see from recent discussions around the fandom, some don't need much of an excuse to mistreat or harass good people. :( 

Some big groups are also using the same rink, such as Hamada and Nagamitsu.

I just hope the coaches and skaters are not involved in the harassment.

1 hour ago, fyere0 said:

Wow. Things must have been really bad for him to state it so bluntly and so publicly. 

2 hours ago, fyere0 said:

This is all over the news in Japan.  This past year, there has been a spate of power harrassment issues being raised against a number of universities and sports clubs in Japan - in American football, boxing and gymnastics to name a few.  Sumo also has faced multiple scandals in recent years.  A silver lining is that the public is no longer tolerating these harrassments and more issues are coming to the surface which gives us some hope.  On the other hand, the government leadership seems to be populated by people who are from the old school... 

2 hours ago, Umebachi said:

This is all over the news in Japan.  This past year, there has been a spate of power harrassment issues being raised against a number of universities and sports clubs in Japan - in American football, boxing and gymnastics to name a few.  Sumo also has faced multiple scandals in recent years.  A silver lining is that the public is no longer tolerating these harrassments and more issues are coming to the surface which gives us some hope.  On the other hand, the government leadership seems to be populated by people who are from the old school... 

Enlighten me, what kind of harassment is this? Nobu is a prominent figure how can they do it?

7 minutes ago, andchipzz said:

Enlighten me, what kind of harassment is this? Nobu is a prominent figure how can they do it?

Nobu describes it as "moral harassment" in his blog.  Kansai University has powerful inside connections...  

31 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

Nobu describes it as "moral harassment" in his blog.  Kansai University has powerful inside connections...

Not being Japanese myself, I'm taking a wild guess at the meaning here, but is it something like either a) the American college admissions thing, where educators etc were pressured to smooth the path for children of the elite to get into good schools, or b ) something more overtly political in nature, like 'support this political party/ politician/ ideological stance, or else' ? 

Because "moral harrassment" does not sound like something as obvious as, say, physical or sexual harassment would be. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Not being Japanese myself, I'm taking a wild guess at the meaning here, but is it something like either a) the American college admissions thing, where educators etc were pressured to smooth the path for children of the elite to get into good schools, or b ) something more overtly political in nature, like 'support this political party/ politician/ ideological stance, or else' ? 

Because "moral harrassment" does not sound like something as obvious as, say, physical or sexual harassment would be. 

My Japanese dictionary also describes モラルハラスメント / モラハラ (moral harassment) as  

“moral harassment, workplace mobbing, workplace bullying, psychological harassment at the workplace”

7 時間前, fyere0さんが言いました:

Very shocking news. I think his writing a blog post in English was very smart move, because now the fans all over the world have noticed this and Kansai University can't ignore him and the situation. (some people in Japanese figures skating world including the media are very good at ignoring or pretending not to notice, as you know.)

I wish him and his lovely family all the best.

All the best to Oda and his family and that something like that will never happen to him again , it’s just cruel, and for him to express his feelings like that there has surely happened a lot ! 

I hope for him that he’ll be able to work somewhere where he is respected and where the people stand behind him in the future and where he has fiends that support him in what he does! 

Sad for Nobu but I hope, now that things are out in the open, decent people will reach out and allow him to work in a nicer place...

This is worrying though, another example of how messed up things can be in fs, behind the scenes...

I would be even more appalled if some of coaches I "know" were directly involved in creating a bad environment, I really hope they had nothing to do with that...

And the new statement from Kansai University

where I live, we call this, rather vulgarly, pararsi il culo (literal english translation has basically the same meaning).

Issue was raised months ago, Nobu made them aware through official channels of the institute too (implies something more serious than an amicable divergence of opinions), and they did nothing, then they lied about the reason of Nobu leaving (they claimed he was busy but now suddenly it's different views on coaching, sure. Would really love to hear them, 'cause now that sounds rather ominous, too)

Nobu is such a wonderful, kind and sweet person. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I'm shocked and saddened that he's had to experience such terrible things. I think it was the best decision for him to come forward and make everything public. Posting about this whole issue in English was also a very smart move. This way, these things can't just be ignored and swept under the rug.

It's great to see the outpouring of love and support for Nobu from fans all over the world. I hope he can now recover and leave all this ugliness behind him. I wish Nobu and his family all the best in the world. :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow: