yuzuangel

[2019] CS Nepela Memorial (19.09-21.09 2019)

2 minutes ago, robin said:

Who is J1? I see some integrity in their scoring 

Adrienn Schadenbauer from Austria, apparently. Never seen their name before, and I've seen the names of hundreds of judges, so I assume they don't get asked to competitions much. Generally speaking, in my experience, small European fed judges tend to be the best judges, or at least the least obviously biased ones

1 minute ago, shanshani said:

Adrienn Schadenbauer from Austria, apparently. Never seen their name before, and I've seen the names of hundreds of judges, so I assume they don't get asked to competitions much. Generally speaking, in my experience, small European fed judges tend to be the best judges, or at least the least obviously biased ones

Makes sense. After all, those small feds don't really have any medal contenders, especially at big competitions. This is why it's even more important to finally draw judges from an independent international panel and not from national feds.

Just now, Yuzurella said:

Makes sense. After all, those small feds don't really have any medal contenders, especially at big competitions. This is why it's even more important to finally draw judges from an independent international panel and not from national feds.

You'd think that not having a medal contender would reduce bias, but not necessarily, actually. Some of the worst judges come from small feds without medal contenders. Off the top of my head, Salome Chigogidze (Georgia) and Anna Kantor (Israel) are both really bad (and also judge a lot of competitions :13877886:)

5 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I rarely check individual judges so this is interesting to know. 

His scoring really gives me hope, esp how he handled PCS. He gave Gutmann a 6.50 for SS and a 8.0 for IN. While ofc IN is subjective and I haven’t watched her performance so I can’t comment on that... but the fact that he actually considered PCS categories SEPARATELY is refreshing but really, it should be the norm. 

And he clearly sees Kaori‘s superiority in PCS. He scored her the best by far. 

4 hours ago, shanshani said:

You'd think that not having a medal contender would reduce bias, but not necessarily, actually. Some of the worst judges come from small feds without medal contenders. Off the top of my head, Salome Chigogidze (Georgia) and Anna Kantor (Israel) are both really bad (and also judge a lot of competitions :13877886:)

I think it comes down to the individual. I think most europeans would like to see another european (non-Russian) FS star... but I guess being from a smaller fed lowers the stakes and it’s easier for them to escape bias. 

Liked Kaori's FS more than SP, good job out there!

Congrats to Sasha, 3 quads look wow but then you get bored and not much of a program or skating after that (not like judges will care anyway).

12 minutes ago, robin said:

I think it comes down to the individual. I think all europeans would like to see another european (non-Russian) FS star... but I guess being from a smaller fed lowers the stakes and it’s easier for them to escape bias. 

Yeah there's variation between individual judges, even from the same fed, regarding how bad they are (at least as far as bias goes, I don't keep track of other aspects). For instance in the US fed, there's some relatively good judges (eg. Wendy Enzmann) but also some really bad ones (eg. Laurie Johnson and Kevin Rosenstein). Rusfed is like really bad overall, though, almost all of them are terrible (shout out to Elena Fomina and Olga Kozhemyakina :yznotimpressed:. Fomina is ridiculous as far as the degree of bias goes, and Kozhemyakina, though no worse than the worst US judges, is at like every competition, I swear). Japan fed is probably the best overall as far as big feds go, but even they have a few bad eggs. Canada fed is also ok, but they also haven't had much in terms of medal contenders lately. And the standard for "ok" here is like..4-5 points of bias instead of 8-10.

39 minutes ago, shanshani said:

She is Hungarian but works for Austria as a judge. 

1 hour ago, ralucutzagy said:

記録と記憶に残るプログラム This one is a record but memorable...I doubt it.

A program that is memorable as well as a record. That is what Yuzu had said about what he wants to do with his skating (can't remember where or when but in one of an interviews sometime before PC...?).  

Don't get me wrong. I think it's brilliant that these young girls can do quads like men but that's not everything about figure skating, is it?

I want to see more in a program than just jumps. I feel carrying out elements merely qualifies as a program. I want to feel what they're trying to express. Maybe I'm an emo kind of person but watching programs with an array of jumps aren't enough for me. I hope these girls have enough time and desire to develop more artistic side of their skating. I don't want to just say "Wow! 3 quads in a program?" but I want to be blown away by their beautiful programs as well. Maybe I'm looking at things with Yuzu standard...:13877886: But honestly, I'm hoping the girls can bring them as well!! 

Just tuned in.  My goodness Marco Klepoch what is that outfit?  Are you an extra on a children's TV programme?

Kwun Hung LEUNG (HKG)

Black with what appears to be a small skunk on his shoulder, white with black and silvering to sleeves.  V neck with white insert.  Glitter to trouser leg.

Punky version of Swan Lake.  I'm so sorry I'm laughing so hard right now about the skunk I cannot comment in any way, shape, manner or form!  :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum: