Crowd sourced Technical Camera project

In light of the very questionable technical calling at the 2019 Autumn Classic International, and the epidemic of inconsistent technical calling in general, I thought it would be a good idea if we all work together to capture high quality, high frame rate video of jumps at future competitions. For instance, here is the type of video I'm talking about (though note this was a jump done in practice). It was shot in 240fps and 1080p on a Samsung Galaxy S10, so required no special equipment.

If we could capture this kind of video for all jumps done by top competitors in competition, we could more convincingly dispute particular bad calls as well as more accurately assess the quality of tech calling in general. By compiling evidence of bad calling, we can show that the tech calling practices now are a serious liability for the sport and more effectively pressure the ISU into changing them (for instance, by adding more cameras).

In order for this to happen, we need to work together. If you are attending a competition this season and are sitting near jumps (the most common places for athletes to jump are along the corners of the rink), please consider filming them during the competition, ideally in 240fps, which most high end phone cameras these days should be able to manage. Ideally, please film at least the nearby jumps of anyone who could plausibly be a medal contender, then post them in this thread. If you have or see footage of competition jumps (for instance, on twitter), please also post it in this thread and label it with the athlete, the competition segment, the jumping pass, and the frame rate. If you are interested in filming at future competitions, please say so! The more angles, the better. Again, this requires no more specialized equipment than a high end phone.

If you intend to participate, please sign up here so we know which angles are covered and which aren't.

You can find the repository of tech videos here

Autumn Classic 2019 (no high frame rate available. please shoot in 240fps--slow motion--if you can, guys!)

Yuzuru Hanyu FS 4Teu3S (appears to be 30fps), 4T called UR

another angle (appears to be 30fps)

Yuzuru Hanyu FS solo 4T (appears to be 30fps), 4T called UR

Yuzuru Hanyu 3A3T (appears to be 30 fps), 3T called UR

7 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I can take some videos this coming weekend, of Kolyada, Samarin, Aliev, Rizzo, if that's ok (if there are requests of others as well, tell me). I can sit anywhere in the arena so I have to find the best angle for jumps.

that sounds awesome! do you have access to a camera that can do slow motion?

your best bet for seating is on the left hand side of the judges or on the right hand side of the judges on the opposite side. I notice those are the places skaters tend to jump most frequently

17 hours ago, shanshani said:

that sounds awesome! do you have access to a camera that can do slow motion?

your best bet for seating is on the left hand side of the judges or on the right hand side of the judges on the opposite side. I notice those are the places skaters tend to jump most frequently

Yes, my camera can do slow motion video too.

I was thinking about the right hand side of the judges on the opposite side, but probably I'll watch videos of these skaters and have a look where they jump most of their jumps.

ETA: I checked the videos and most of them jump on the left of judges side (Aliev's 4Lz, 4T-3T, Kolyada's 4T, Samarin's 4Lz + bonus Trusova's 4Lz, too) so it's better to sit there then.