WE ♥ YUZU FROM (COUNTRY) BANNER IDEA

yuzuangel

I totally understand the worries about the political spectrum here, so I'm ok with what you decide. I am not particularly a fan of the globe-heart, so I won't be seeking to own my own small banner like this (so I removed myself from the spreadsheet), but for sure will pinch in if needed for the big one, and "pin in" my country dot :)

Is there any clear file of the former flag heart design I could use though (like good quality/resolution)? I really liked it and would be great to make one for myself even if only to look at it in my room :)

On 9/23/2019 at 11:01 AM, yuzuangel said:

Some fans even hinted that there might be violence in the arena if fans are seen holding up certain flags (!!)

Threats of this nature are crimes in almost all jurisdictions where the GPs are being held. If anyone receiving such a threat has reason to believe the threat was credible and specific as to location and/or time, then a phone call to local police is in order. Just sayin'. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Threats of this nature are crimes in almost all jurisdictions where the GPs are being held. If anyone receiving such a threat has reason to believe the threat was credible and specific as to location and/or time, then a phone call to local police is in order. Just sayin'. 

No one threatened anyone afaik, it was more like "we are afraid fights may happen" (but not in like a threatening way) :think:

Honestly, I think individuals should be allowed to choose whether they prefer or not to refer to their own country symbolically or via text on a banner they carry.  If some pro-Chinese government fans are saying that something as innocuous as "Hong Kong (or Taiwan) Loves Yuzu" or something similar by a few fans would somehow hurt him, that smacks of concern trolling to censor fans from Hong Kong and Taiwan.  I strongly doubt that would hurt his standing in the fs world.  If individual fans from Taiwan and Hong Kong don't want to display their national symbols or country names for any reason whatsoever, then that is a different issue, because that is individual fans being empowered to choose what they feel most comfortable with.

Having some kind of a "global" alternative for those who don't feel a connection to their country or who feel uncomfortable about their national identity for any reason is a fantastic idea.  There are some good ideas being put forward here.  However, shutting down all nationalistic banners primarily because some fans who support a powerful government want to keep less powerful groups silent and invisible would be heinous.  It would be like a Canadian fan being mad if someone chose a provincial or a First Nations/Métis/Inuit flag instead of the Maple Leaf. 

In short, censorship in order to protect the powerful and providing an alternative to empower individuals are two very different things. 

23 hours ago, Songster01 said:

Honestly, I think individuals should be allowed to choose whether they prefer or not to refer to their own country symbolically or via text on a banner they carry.  If some pro-Chinese government fans are saying that something as innocuous as "Hong Kong (or Taiwan) Loves Yuzu" or something similar by a few fans would somehow hurt him, that smacks of concern trolling to censor fans from Hong Kong and Taiwan.  I strongly doubt that would hurt his standing in the fs world.  If individual fans from Taiwan and Hong Kong don't want to display their national symbols or country names for any reason whatsoever, then that is a different issue, because that is individual fans being empowered to choose what they feel most comfortable with.

Having some kind of a "global" alternative for those who don't feel a connection to their country or who feel uncomfortable about their national identity for any reason is a fantastic idea.  There are some good ideas being put forward here.  However, shutting down all nationalistic banners primarily because some fans who support a powerful government want to keep less powerful groups silent and invisible would be heinous.  It would be like a Canadian fan being mad if someone chose a provincial or a First Nations/Métis/Inuit flag instead of the Maple Leaf. 

In short, censorship in order to protect the powerful and providing an alternative to empower individuals are two very different things. 

I don't think so highly of Planet Hanyu / this project that I would believe we have the power of shutting down all nationalistic banners, lol. Hence I wouldn't go so far to call this censorship :) The image files for the banners are in this thread, and nothing is stopping people from printing and waving whatever they want in an arena as long as the arena allows it.

Anyway, as a Taiwanese person living in the U.S. who grew up hearing stories from parents and family members about being barred from international events and having trouble visiting some countries due to being Taiwanese, this was a particularly painful decision. Even with this knowledge it didn't cross my mind that there would be issues with something as innocent as waving your own small handheld flag at a figure skating event, otherwise I wouldn't have put everyone through the drama and trouble. 

To you (and many others) it may seem like concern trolling, but PH isn't really in the business of determining if it is or not. We really just wanted to show that Yuzu is loved all over the world. That's it.

Here are some of my designs. These are low-res mockups. But I was thinking a world map and a "pin" sticker for you to put on your map to signify where you come from. The pin can be a heart, actual pin, or a combination of the both?

Heart pin:

r5wNTOJ.jpg

Normal "location" pin:

fi6pkv1.jpg

Combination of the two:

5QJhngJ.jpg

Dark text:

L8x89Fv.jpg

Giant pin (for visibility):

bEpdjbv.jpg

The font and text and color of everything can change. But thoughts? We could also use a simpler map but I thought this one was pretty.

5 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Here are some of my designs. These are low-res mockups. But I was thinking a world map and a "pin" sticker for you to put on your map to signify where you come from. The pin can be a heart, actual pin, or a combination of the both?

Heart pin:

r5wNTOJ.jpg

Normal "location" pin:

fi6pkv1.jpg

Combination of the two:

5QJhngJ.jpg

Dark text:

L8x89Fv.jpg

Giant pin (for visibility):

bEpdjbv.jpg

The font and text and color of everything can change. But thoughts? We could also use a simpler map but I thought this one was pretty.

the "heart in a pin" can't really be seen from afar imo, but the concept is really good compared to a solid heart, so maybe add a black outglow to the "heart in the pin" shape? or maybe just a heart outline? some variation of this?

Spoiler

17-173795_curly-heart-outline-clipart-he 

for the map colour, I think black map will provide a better contrast with the red hearts, the hearts didn't really stand out from the pastel colour, maybe black hearts will work on the pastel map instead? Imo a maximum of 3 colours - heart, map, and font, which pastel blue / black / red in no particular order will prob look nicer than pure black / red as per my design.

Black font is a must, or the font outlines need to be much thicker lol 

For the font, if you need additional ideas, maybe something like "Love for Yuzu is // International"? or "The World // Loves Yuzu" haha. I'm not good with coming up with tag lines 

Are these designs for individual flags? or is this the big map that people will pin onto it? Can't imagine the huge pin fitting everyone, the size and shape is kinda big such that it detracts the focus to the centre of the "heart" instead of the pointed end where the location is supposed to be I think. Maybe the heart outlines will work idk

@Salior thanks for the suggestions! My honest thoughts are that... I'm not super excited about this project right now, both due to being unsure abt the new design and also the emotional baggage of everything that had transpired. From this thread, it feels like everyone else is feeling the same? Of course if anyone else still wants to keep working on any sort of banner project I would love to help, but for now I think I will just put it on hold unless something else comes along that feels right.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:52 AM, yuzuangel said:

@Salior thanks for the suggestions! My honest thoughts are that... I'm not super excited about this project right now, both due to being unsure abt the new design and also the emotional baggage of everything that had transpired. From this thread, it feels like everyone else is feeling the same? Of course if anyone else still wants to keep working on any sort of banner project I would love to help, but for now I think I will just put it on hold unless something else comes along that feels right.

Thanks too! I understand it's difficult to do, so no worries! Thanks for all the efforts so far :)

Just for the fun of it, I've compiled images from NASA's Blue Marble into this map for my own desktop picture haha <3 Spent so much time on it I just wanted to share it here 

25wmmd.jpg

Hey there :tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

I know the banner project is more or less on ice, but it somehow didn't leave my mind, I really want a banner idk :13877886:
So I brainstormed a little bit and I remembered this wonderful hashtag on twitter and then I thought maybeeeee we can use that for the banner? It shows perfectly that we love yuzu from all over the world :img_20:

I just tried a little bit, if you guys don't want a banner anymore then maybe I'll  just use it for myself :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:
(the flag is of course removable, for those who don't want one). Oh, and I used a bigger size, since there are a lot of words to read. 100cm x 35 cm

okay, here I go, don't know if I'll manage to use pics correctly in this forum xD

M5Z06bw.jpgxL43Ts9.jpgoD99e3t.jpgXiIx9uI.jpgkJTGeoY.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 5:11 PM, Niji said:

I know the banner project is more or less on ice, but it somehow didn't leave my mind, I really want a banner idk :13877886:
So I brainstormed a little bit and I remembered this wonderful hashtag on twitter and then I thought maybeeeee we can use that for the banner? It shows perfectly that we love yuzu from all over the world :img_20:

I just tried a little bit, if you guys don't want a banner anymore then maybe I'll  just use it for myself :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:
(the flag is of course removable, for those who don't want one). Oh, and I used a bigger size, since there are a lot of words to read. 100cm x 35 cm

okay, here I go, don't know if I'll manage to use pics correctly in this forum xD

These are beautiful, thank you. I wonder if "Love Yuzu From __" and a sharpie marker for people to fill out where they're from would work, actually. So the place they're from can be semi-visible from a far, and we don't have to print 3947502943 different banners, we could just print maybe 3-4 different costumes or something.

(i didn't spend that much time on this one, just an idea)

WsQV5dk.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 11:11 PM, Niji said:

6 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

These are beautiful, thank you. I wonder if "Love Yuzu From __" and a sharpie marker for people to fill out where they're from would work, actually. So the place they're from can be semi-visible from a far, and we don't have to print 3947502943 different banners, we could just print maybe 3-4 different costumes or something.

WsQV5dk.jpg

Both seconded!:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

Maybe this last idea is more practical?

Would also resolve the issue of choosing which extra countries to print to give to fans in the venue...if fans want the banner, they can just fill it out themselves...

Tbh, I was preparing a banner for myself inspired by the original idea, but I'd prefer if there was a common design/project :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

7 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

WsQV5dk.jpg

I love this one, it’s gorgeous and probably like @LadyLou said more practical.

Thank you for not giving up on the idea:img_21:

5 hours ago, LadyLou said:

Both seconded!:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

Maybe this last idea is more practical?

Would also resolve the issue of choosing which extra countries to print to give to fans in the venue...if fans want the banner, they can just fill it out themselves...

Tbh, I was preparing a banner for myself inspired by the original idea, but I'd prefer if there was a common design/project :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

4 hours ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

I love this one, it’s gorgeous and probably like @LadyLou said more practical.

Thank you for not giving up on the idea:img_21:

Glad you liked it ^_^ I guess if we want to do it, the main questions are:

1. What pictures of Yuzu should we use? I just chose a random one that fit sort of the long horizontal format. We can also choose a couple designs (maybe Otonal, Origin, Seimei, Chopin..?)

2. Should the heart just be a heart ascii or something more stylized?