WE ♥ YUZU FROM (COUNTRY) BANNER IDEA

yuzuangel

I also support the We [heart with the flag] Yuzu of the 1st post. The message is Yuzu is loved all over the world, if some people don't recognise the flag, they can search it online, lol. Keep it simple. I only go to the GPF, and injury-wise, Yuzu should be there. I already bought a Pooh bear.

I like this idea! I agree the best design posted so far is "WE :heart: YUZU" with the flag inside the heart.

But I think it'd be even better if we came up with something a bit more original, something that he'll be surprised to see. Perhaps a banner with a GOAT reference? Nessie reference? Something like this:

Personally I'm from Argentina and I'm not able to attend any fs competitions (it'd be a dream come true). I'm sure most South American Yuzu fans feel this way too. I'd appreciate it if some fans could carry banners on behalf of satellites who love Yuz from different countries but can't travel to competitions (just a suggestion).

yea i think ultimately whichever design we go with, it should be visible and clear from afar. I can see why everyone likes the original design, but if you zoom out a lot (see photo below) I think the "WE    YUZU" stood out to me rather than the <3 with the flag on it, and it kind of misses the point because 1. whoever views it from afar won't find it memorable because they have to squint to see the flag, and 2. they cannot recognise half the flags, which again makes it difficult to remember and defeats the purpose. Like, I couldn't even see the yellow stars on the China flag from far away, especially if the flag is going to be a primary info carrier 

For example I didn't recognise the Philippines, Belgium and the Romanian flag, and I'm sure there's a lot of others who can't recognise even more flags. Few is going to remember "oh there's this Yuzu fan holding this banner with a non-Japanese flag that I had to squint to see and can't recognise, and I don't bother to google search "flag with white triangle, blue and red stripes" to find it". It's precisely the same reason why "YUZU IS LOVED FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD" didn't drive home the point, because the phrase is vague when there were no concrete memorable example of where exactly he is loved that is beyond their expectations. 

vs "oh Yuzu has fans from Philippines / Belgium / Romania / Taiwan / Vietnam / Hong Kong / Peru??" which is 1000x more memorable, and drives home the point that Yuzu has fans from countries that they didn't think he would have fans, and who would fly in just to watch him at competitions. Here the flag is just the illustration rather than the primary info carrier, without which the message would be just "WE   YUZU" over and over again. The idea is to spell it out as clearly to them as possible. 

That's the rationale for having the country name - it's unambiguous, clear cut, easy to read and makes it fun for journalists to read out different country names. 

to mimic the dark conditions here's some samples I've made. the original brightness can be found here. Personally I'd go with the 2nd row, but I'm not attending competitions so I guess just go with whatever you like. 

c3kg45.png

Hi there, love the banner idea and just wanted to give another opinion in :tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

For me it's definitely the "we [heart shaped love with flag] yuzu" banner which I would prefer.

I'm from Germany and for first, the colors and the world really don't look so nice written out.

But more important I would feel incredibly uncomfortable to held up a germany flag. It's in our education as a German to not proudly wear our flag bc of certain things happened in our past. I never waved our flag before and holding a banner with "Germany" in such big letters I'll feel as if promoting my country instead of cheering yuzu.

So whatever you guys decide in the end, I hope its okay if I'll go with the heart one :heart:

4 hours ago, Salior said:

yea i think ultimately whichever design we go with, it should be visible and clear from afar. I can see why everyone likes the original design, but if you zoom out a lot (see photo below) I think the "WE    YUZU" stood out to me rather than the <3 with the flag on it, and it kind of misses the point because 1. whoever views it from afar won't find it memorable because they have to squint to see the flag, and 2. they cannot recognise half the flags, which again makes it difficult to remember and defeats the purpose. Like, I couldn't even see the yellow stars on the China flag from far away, especially if the flag is going to be a primary info carrier 

For example I didn't recognise the Philippines, Belgium and the Romanian flag, and I'm sure there's a lot of others who can't recognise even more flags. Few is going to remember "oh there's this Yuzu fan holding this banner with a non-Japanese flag that I had to squint to see and can't recognise, and I don't bother to google search "flag with white triangle, blue and red stripes" to find it". It's precisely the same reason why "YUZU IS LOVED FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD" didn't drive home the point, because the phrase is vague when there were no concrete memorable example of where exactly he is loved that is beyond their expectations. 

vs "oh Yuzu has fans from Philippines / Belgium / Romania / Taiwan / Vietnam / Hong Kong / Peru??" which is 1000x more memorable, and drives home the point that Yuzu has fans from countries that they didn't think he would have fans, and who would fly in just to watch him at competitions. Here the flag is just the illustration rather than the primary info carrier, without which the message would be just "WE   YUZU" over and over again. The idea is to spell it out as clearly to them as possible. 

That's the rationale for having the country name - it's unambiguous, clear cut, easy to read and makes it fun for journalists to read out different country names. 

to mimic the dark conditions here's some samples I've made. the original brightness can be found here. Personally I'd go with the 2nd row, but I'm not attending competitions so I guess just go with whatever you like. 

c3kg45.png

I like the original design. We can make the heart border thicker if necessary, but that's it.

I don't care if it is not much visible from afar, because we are not aiming to show it to space satellites, but to Yuzu and the cameras in the arena.

Recognizing the flag, again, is not important. Important is to see "hey, they have MANY different colored flags! and this one is different too!". If someone really wants to know, he can search for it. It is not impossible. I grew up searching for flags in the book atlas, no google available. If you want to know, you will find a way to find out.

If we put country names there, it is a nice touch, but with longer names (and I mean longer than probably 5 characters), it starts looking like a licence plate and it is really difficult to get the main info out of it.

WE :heart: YUZU is the best one, because it can convey the most important thing in an easy-to-read way. I don't think visibility is a problem.

I actually do think that the country name as a word, would have more impact than the flag in the heart. But I absolutely consider a problem the long names as in “Switzerland”. Maybe we could have an additional banner where we state how many countries are represented, something like: “XX countries here for Yuzuru Hanyu”.

If we go with the flag in the heart banner, the heart’s border should be much thicker and the space between the printed area and banner edges should be a bit bigger. This way the message would be still clearly visible while holding and waiving the banner!

2 時間前, yuzuangelさんが言いました:

https://mobile.twitter.com/karen_hyaxel/status/1173151664263401472?s=19

Seems someone on Twitter also suggested ISU Reform banners, and the Japanese fans were against it, because Yuzu antis used the exact same method in the past.

I actually left a comment against it too. It’s not really about the wording or bad memories or antis. It just feels inappropriate. Skaters don’t need any distractions at their competitions. If most Japanese fans feel that way, I think he, with his honorable samurai spirit, would feel the same. The country banner idea, on the other hand, is so lovely. I hope we can send him only positive vibes at the competition venues.

32 minutes ago, Yuzu_legend said:

I actually do think that the country name as a word, would have more impact than the flag in the heart. But I absolutely consider a problem the long names as in “Switzerland”. Maybe we could have another banner where we state how many countries are represented, something like: “XX countries here for Yuzuru Hanyu”.

If we go with the flag in the heart banner, the heart’s border should be much thicker and the space between the printed area and banner edges should be a bit bigger. This way the message would be still clearly visible while holding and waiving the banner!

iirc, in addition to individual hand-held banners someone mentioned making a big banner with "We <3 Yuzu from all over the word", that could be hanged in the arenas/where the majority of us sits. Around the slogan, we could again put all the hearts with flags and names of the countries, would that be doable? And maybe with a Planet Hanyu logo too, so people know where the idea originated?

hace 31 minutos , yuzuonice said:

iirc, in addition to individual hand-held banners someone mentioned making a big banner with "We <3 Yuzu from all over the word", that could be hanged in the arenas/where the majority of us sits. Around the slogan, we could again put all the hearts with flags and names of the countries, would that be doable? And maybe with a Planet Hanyu logo too, so people know where the idea originated?

I have a PH banner (costumes from last season, but since the programs are the same, I guess it is not too bad?) and we could try to do that. And yes,  it would be lovely to bring back our “Yuzu we love you from all over the world” as well... I mean, I don’t care if I have to carry/hold 5 banners, we can alternate and display all of them, including practices. :biggrin:

He is so extra, we can follow his example and be extras too! :pouty:

6 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I got the quote from the factory in China. It's $1/banner including shipping if we order 200. We can have unlimited flag designs. 200 is a lot though; do you think there would be enough people interested? Esp if we give out for free. If we do, what breakdown of countries should we print?

We might be able to hit the quota since the banners are timeless, we don't really have to finish distributing by the next event or such. 

For the breakdown, maybe we can prioritise those who put their names down on the excel sheet first? And request help from twitter / tumblr / Facebook users to gauge interest from their followers / groups.

I believe we already have 20 entries from PH? I think it's very hard to gauge the breakdown unless the attendees have an inkling of the composition of those who'd want the flag at the venues. The best bet is probably prioritise the excel entries 

We have stats on the origin of members if we want to try that, you could go for the most common countries to fill up to 200. 

I'm commenting a bit late, but I also prefer the original design because the full names of some countries are way too long. And as someone who is from one of those countries with a flag that only few will recognize... Well, I don't really care personally. I'm doing this mostly to show the diversity of countries/flags, not highlight mine in particular. 

I agree that making the outer line of the heart thicker would improve the visibility. Also, depending on the fabric, we might want to leave a bit more blank space on the edges, as these parts tend to be more deformed than the center when held. 

Just a suggestion here: how about something like 'Swiss fans for Yuzu', 'Chilean fans for Yuzu', 'Brit fans for Yuzu', etc? It directly states both the message and the problem at the same time. 

Or you could use the country flag like so: ' 🇨🇦 for Yuzu' , etc.

Personally I think that simpler is better.