WE ♥ YUZU FROM (COUNTRY) BANNER IDEA

yuzuangel

5 minutes ago, Salior said:

Yea I was just hoping that this might help dispel the idea that "Yuzu fans only care about Yuzu" stereotype by showing that Yuzu supporters also support everyone, though it's a bonus at this stage.

I was thinking from a completely ignorant foreigner's point of view and what they would comment about it haha.

Should the idea be "Yuzu fans are trying to show that Yuzu is loved from a lot of countries", which the stark contrast & absence in other skaters' will make it seem like "Why tf can't these fans make a similar banner for other skaters too? They deserve it"?

Or "figure skating fans are trying to show that the Japanese superstar is not just loved in Japan but all around the world"? 

For sure we cannot pre-empt all the anti arguments, but this is just something I thought Yuzu would appreciate as well - knowing that our attention and respect is not just for him, but for everyone. 

Okay, but showing banner made only for Yuzu and cheering for him doesn't ban anyone from expressing their support for other skaters too. Just not with this banner. Unless you leave the ice rink when Yuzu is done with his skate you can cheer for the others as much as you want and I am certainly going to do that (I mean the cheering. Not the leaving :68468287:). But it would be nice to have this gesture made especially for Yuzu as it was originally meant to be.

10 minutes ago, Salior said:

Yea I was just hoping that this might help dispel the idea that "Yuzu fans only care about Yuzu" stereotype by showing that Yuzu supporters also support everyone, though it's a bonus at this stage.

I was thinking from a completely ignorant foreigner's point of view and what they would comment about it haha.

Should the idea be "Yuzu fans are trying to show that Yuzu is loved from a lot of countries", which the stark contrast & absence in other skaters' will make it seem like "Why tf can't these fans make a similar banner for other skaters too? They deserve it"?

Or "figure skating fans are trying to show that the Japanese superstar is not just loved in Japan but all around the world"? 

For sure we cannot pre-empt all the anti arguments, but this is just something I thought Yuzu would appreciate as well - knowing that our attention and respect is not just for him, but for everyone. 

I think my general goal was to show "Yuzu has many fans who are not Japanese, in fact he has fans from all continents" and "It's not only Japanese fans who travel to see Yuzu" and to dispel the media myth that Asian fan -> must be Japanese // Non-Asian fan -> must be local (I don't know if it's pervasive but it's just been my impression). 

However, there can be many goals with this projects! (We just need to pack it in an easy to read, easy and cheap to print way to get the point across!

23 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Okay, but showing banner made only for Yuzu and cheering for him doesn't ban anyone from expressing their support for other skaters too. Just not with this banner. Unless you leave the ice rink when Yuzu is done with his skate you can cheer for the others as much as you want and I am certainly going to do that (I mean the cheering. Not the leaving :68468287:). But it would be nice to have this gesture made especially for Yuzu as it was originally meant to be.

21 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I think my general goal was to show "People who are fans of Yuzu are NOT ONLY Japanese" and "Not only Japanese fans travel to see Yuzu" and to dispel the media myth that Asian fan -> must be Japanese // Non-Asian fan -> must be local (I don't know if it's pervasive but it's just been my impression). 

However, there can be many goals with this projects! (We just need to pack it in an easy to read, easy and cheap to print way to get the point across!)

Yea I was thinking that Yuzu would've preferred it if we respect figure skating as a whole, compared to the original Yuzu-centric reasoning that seem to be based on the premise that "Yuzu is good, and people don't recognise it, so we have to prove it" , which I don't think he himself will appreciate, since this kind of attention seem like idol worshipping more than anything else. 

3 minutes ago, Salior said:

Yea I was thinking that Yuzu would've preferred it if we respect figure skating as a whole, compared to the original Yuzu-centric reasoning that seem to be based on the premise that "Yuzu is good, and people don't recognise it, so we have to prove it" , which I don't think he himself will appreciate, since this kind of attention seem like idol worshipping more than anything else. 

I think your idea comes from a good place, BUT people have Yuzu-specific banners all the time, and he loves to see them. Having Yuzu banners is nothing new at competitions, and this kind of banner isn't any more idol worship than any other figure skating banner.

The point is despite all the interviews given by Yuzu fans in English, Russian, etc., all of the Yuzu fan activity online in multiple languages, and people physically NOT SPEAKING JAPANESE OR LOOKING JAPANESE in the media, the media still labels all his fans as Japanese, so unless we hit them over the head with what we are trying to convey (no actual violence condoned), it will not sink in. Unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I think your idea comes from a good place, BUT people have Yuzu-specific banners all the time, and he loves to see them. Having Yuzu banners is nothing new at competitions.

The point is despite all the interviews given by Yuzu fans in English, Russian, etc., all of the Yuzu fan activity online in multiple languages, and people physically NOT SPEAKING JAPANESE OR LOOKING JAPANESE in the media, the media still labels all his fans as Japanese, so unless we hit them over the head with what we are trying to convey (no actual violence condoned), it will not sink in. Unfortunately.

yea which I think that the flag itself would suffice, I guess this is where the disagreement lies.

I mean I still remember that photo where someone showed up in hijab and excitedly waited for Yuzu's high five by the rink side, during a victory lap. She didn't need to paste "I LOVE YUZU" on her forehead or wear a full winnie the pooh costume, but her clothing clearly communicated that she is not a Japanese, and her excitement communicated that she loves Yuzu. 

What I was thinking is that the effect of the flag would mimic the effect her clothing has on communicating to the audience about her identity as a non-Japanese, in a far more natural and less "off-putting" way to 3rd parties who have little idea of the issue, which is who we're targeting in the first place.

I'm just trying to think about how our "target audience" will respond and whether it'll have unintended effects. Something arguably we don't need more misunderstanding of, like how the journalists criticised the girl who dressed up in Yuzu's costume and interpreted all her actions as "over the top" and "wanting Nathan to lose" just because of that.

Our actions could come off as "Yuzu fans trying to show off that he has support but no other skaters have", which is a natural reaction considering that most of those journalists who made the over-generalising comments will probably have their own favourites. 

2 minutes ago, Salior said:

I mean I still remember that photo where someone showed up in hijab and excitedly waited for Yuzu's high five by the rink side, during a victory lap. She didn't need to paste "I LOVE YUZU" on her forehead or wear a full WINNIE THE POOH costume, but her clothing clearly communicated that she is not a Japanese, and her excitement communicated that she loves Yuzu. 

Ok, well i disagree bc the media hasn't gotten that message. People like you and me obviously know but we already know.

2 minutes ago, Salior said:

I'm just trying to think about how our "target audience" will respond and whether it'll have unintended effects. Something arguably we don't need more misunderstanding of, like how the journalists criticised the girl who dressed up in Yuzu's costume and interpreted all her actions as "over the top" and "wanting Nathan to lose" just because of that. 

TBF I don't really care if they criticize us for having Yuzu banners.

Sigh the issue is not about criticism.... I know that it'll happen no matter what. We can be completely unapologetic about worshipping Yuzu like a god, but will our action to "prove that Yuzu's fans are not only Japanese" backfire on us instead, to the extent it might've been better if we never had this in the first place? Are there better ways to bring about this? That's my concern. 

In my opinion, many people are supporting only Yuzuru anyway. He is the one drawing in people that would not care a bit about figure skating otherwise. So if someone does say we are supporting only Yuzu, it would be the truth mostly. There is no reason to hide that fact.

We can express our support to other skaters and we should certainly respect them and try not to disturb their competition. But I think we are doing quite well in this area. 

If people try to say something because our Yuzu banners, that's their problem and I don't see how it could "backfire" on us. The second Yuzu is not skating anymore, no one is going to see my banner anywhere, so I don't mind being called a Yuzu-centered fan.

18 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I think it can say

WE ♥ YUZU

FROM (COUNTRY)

where both the heart and the country are flag silhouettes?

Ok idk how to do the heart thing but this is exactly what i was thinking about haha 

something something adjust proportions it's late and i need to sleep D: idm doing anything just let me know how I can help 

do you know how to add the flag to the font? 

qvq7sk.png

Ahora, Salior said:

Sigh the issue is not about criticism.... I know that it'll happen no matter what. We can be completely unapologetic about worshipping Yuzu like a god, but will our action to "prove that Yuzu's fans are not only Japanese" backfire on us instead? That's my concern. 

For CoR 18 we wrote: "we love you from all over the world" and nobody took it bad. I do not think they would backfire and if yes, I couldn't care less tbh. I just want his name big and nice! LOL, because I already made once the mistake with my banners, where I didn't want it to be too obvious and in the end I think it was not a good idea:

https://imgur.com/957EUgM