sallycinnamon

[2019] CS ACI (12.09-14.09) - Practice, Fluff & all the In-betweens

Hey guys.  Was MIA after the warm up for the free skate because I figured everyone can see what was going on at that point and I wanted to just shut my brain off and focus on enjoying the programs.  Didn’t pay any attention to the tech and very little to the scores, figuring that without knowing the tech, it wouldn’t mean much to me anyway.

Good thing about that is that by the end, I was just a bit confused rather than raging like other people.  Tried to minimize internet time because, even when it’s justified, I don’t like drowning in a sea of salt.

Anyway, just wanted to share a few bits on reflection.  

Perspective of a skating newbie

I brought my bf to the event. (put possibly offensive comments under spoiler but kept the wording for accuracy)

Before the Event

Spoiler

“I don’t think you even like skating.  You just want to stare at Japanese butthole for 3 days”

"Eeeh… I’ll go to the first day just because that’s what we’re there to do, but I can’t see myself doing 3 days of it.  I don’t sit through any sport for 3 hours. At the Vikings game, I was ready to be done after two and there was beer there."

After 1st Men’s practice

“I liked Harry, Keegan, and that Chinese kid (referring to Jun)”

During Ladies SP warm-up

[pointed at Eunsoo]   “I want that girl to win” [smirk] (because she’s pretty - he didn’t know she was only 15)

"That Rika got a lot of cheers"

During Men’s SP warm-up

“Who’s disco dots?”

During Men’s FS practice

Keegan’s music comes on.  “I liked him before, but now I really like him”

After I talk about how Yuzu looks photoshopped in real life

“Make up does wonders these day” (I tell him he doesn’t wear any) “Suuuuure. That’s what he says”

After Harry’s free skate

"How can you not like him? Look how goofy looking he is."

After Yuzu’s FS costume reveal

“Look at this guy…  he’s like, ‘bitches, my shirt costs 3 times as much as yours’

After Keegan’s scores

Spoiler

“Bastard” [laugh] “Maybe Frenchie will f*%k up so the Chinese guy can still be top 3”

(I asked what he liked about Jun) “I liked his show”

After the event

“Why is everyone so mad?  He won. Isn’t that what he’s here to do?” (do you remember when you were still that innocent?)

(I asked if he liked Yuzu’s costume) “How can you not? Look how much effort he put into it”

(about the complaints on the campers) “What difference does it make if they camp out or line up at 3:00 am?  Either way, they’re willing to go farther than I am. Doesn’t hurt my experience at all… I bet some of these people spent all year saving up for this event”

(about the unassigned seating) “I can see how it can get annoying, but it makes the event more raw.  We wouldn’t get campers and lines around the block if the seats were assigned. You go home with a story.”

Me watching Yuzu in bed… after hearing Meagan talk about mistaking a cosplayer for Yuzu at the Olympics

[starts cackling next to me] “Racist… that guy looked nothing like him.”  [I respond that Yuzu is unusual looking and it would be hard to emulate] “Yeah. Nobody has proportions like that in real life. He’s like a model or some anime character” (we watch a lot of anime and he didn’t know about the fandom’s comparisons. See, even an outsider sees it!)

At the end of the night

“Thanks for dragging me along.  I had a really good time” :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

We’re planning to go together again next year :happy:

My thoughts on Costume

I like the new Otonal costume but I wish the back looked more like the front and that it wasn’t so puffy around the waist.  To me, the old costume reminded me of an ice fairy. The new costume evokes the image of “The Lord of Winter”. Last year Otonal felt more delicate and reflective but this year, it feels more passionate and strong.  It doesn’t bother me at all that it doesn’t match “autumn” because it matches the mood of the music, which I think is more important. When I listen to Otonal, it feels contemplative, which I also associate more with winter. On a shallow note - orange and brown are terrible colors for his skin tone.

I wasn’t sure about the new Origin at first.  I loved the old Origin costume. I was mostly surprised by the purple.  Btw, it looks darker in person - more of a goth purple than the Vikings purple that you see in pictures.  But as I look at it more (and more, and more), I like it more. It shows off his line better and has an overall sexy feel to it.  My one complaint about Origin 1 costume is that I didn’t like that the texture puffed out his waist a little. This new Origin really pops - BF didn’t have anything to say about Otonal costume.

On differences between TV vs. Live

I personally don’t think watching live replaces TV.  Live, you get a better idea of the big picture of the skating but you lose a lot of details.  I found it to be a vast improvement with the lesser skaters - the energy of the crowd really boosted the experience of watching them.  But with the top skaters, I found it to be a mixed bag. It’s easier to compare their skills in person, but I found it frustrating that I couldn’t see all the jumps and it was harder to see the expressions on their faces.  And the jumbotron was behind the music so it was annoying to watch that.  

Keegan managed to completely ruin Camden for me.  I liked Camden a lot in juniors because I thought he had nice feeling and edges to his skating.  In both segments, Keegan skated right after Camden and it made me see how lacking Camden’s skating really was.  

You might wonder if I had the same problem with Yuzu, but no.  How can Yuzu ruin anyone else’s skating when everyone else ceases to exist?

I think Keegan gets the biggest boost from the live experience, though I hate both his programs this year.  He doesn’t even bother trying to interpret November Rain - if you want to ham to the crowd, there are plenty of rock songs that encourage hamming.  But he absolutely flies across the ice. The spins are so fast and centered. The hydroblade and besti squats are so low and buttery smooth. The jumps are huge. I don’t like his style, but live, you can appreciate so many other things that look more impressive in person.

Kevin looks about the same to me.  He did get a boost from watching pratices.  He doesn’t have the best skating skills, but they’re so much better than most of them.  You forget how good even the “second tier” skaters are. But hated his LP in person, hated it on tape.  Reminded me of everything I disliked about him last year. The SP is fab and I thought he fully deserved his PCS scores 

Evgenia is extremely charismatic.  I don’t think she’s the best skater, but I felt her presence throughout. I was so impressed with how good she looked compared to test skates.  Rika looks about what I expected from TV. All of her jumps looked very tilted. Eunsoo is beautiful but she looked almost scared the whole time.

Yuzu seems more surreal in real life.  I think it’s because in pictures, everyone is photoshopped and lit well while Yuzu actually looks more perfect irl because you literally can’t see any pores or imperfections when you’re several feet away.  

The salchow is really troubling.  It’s clearly mental because it was so perfect in practice but that was an epic crash in the SP and pretty bad in the LP.  

Judging, internet, and etiquette

I thought it was strange the way everyone kept clapping for skaters’ mistake.  I know the intention is to encourage them but in other sports, cheering for mistakes leads to fisticuffs.  I’m curious how the skaters actually feel.

I never understand why fans don’t take the judges intro as an opportunity to show how they feel about the individual judges and tech panel members. To me, this is a good opportunity to show appreciation for the judges/tech panel that consistently do well and let the bad ones feel at least some repercussion without making the skaters feel bad.  I held myself back from jeering loudly when Sasha Martinez was introduced but only because I thought it would make the fandom look bad. I seriously am thinking about making a Shin Amano fan club banner.

Except for Kevin, I actually think most of the judges did a good job.  I’m glad I took the time to re-read the rules. The PCS was a travesty, but I can’t blame the judges for following the rules.  I was way more pissy about the Icelandic judge giving Yuzu an 8.5 in the short program - there’s no excuse for that!

Honestly, seeing it live, does make me sympathize with the judges more (except in obvious case of bias).  It is a lot harder to see small details irl, even if they do have front row seats.   I tried seats all around the rink, trying to figure out the best view but no matter where I sat, there was always a section I could barely see and things that I missed.

I think next time I would also avoid the internet completely except maybe to rewatch the programs, depending on how annoying the commentators are.  I have enough to feel bitter and helpless about irl. I want to hold on to the good feelings as long as possible when it comes to my hobby. The biggest thing was that it made me feel really sad to read what Yuzu said in interviews.

7 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Me watching Yuzu in bed… after hearing Meagan talk about mistaking a cosplayer for Yuzu at the Olympics

[starts cackling next to me] “Racist… that guy looked nothing like him.”  [I respond that Yuzu is unusual looking and it would be hard to emulate] “Yeah. Nobody has proportions like that in real life. He’s like a model or some anime character” (we watch a lot of anime and he didn’t know about the fandom’s comparisons. See, even an outsider sees it!)

I think my mom's literal first comment upon seeing Yuzu was "he looks like a manga character" haha. he does really have anime proportions

10 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I think Keegan gets the biggest boost from the live experience, though I hate both his programs this year.  He doesn’t even bother trying to interpret November Rain - if you want to ham to the crowd, there are plenty of rock songs that encourage hamming.  But he absolutely flies across the ice. The spins are so fast and centered. The hydroblade and besti squats are so low and buttery smooth. The jumps are huge. I don’t like his style, but live, you can appreciate so many other things that look more impressive in person.

tbh I was surprised Yuzu got more points than Keegan off spins. Don't kill me but I thought Keegan's spins were better

2 minutes ago, shanshani said:

tbh I was surprised Yuzu got more points than Keegan off spins. Don't kill me but I thought Keegan's spins were better

I agree ... runs and hides

eta: I'm a Pooh by the Boards now! No idea when that happened.  You can't kill Pooh right?

2 hours ago, shanshani said:

I think Keegan was faster, right?

Tho if I've done my math right, Yuzu didn't get more spin goe in the FS and in SP he got more goe only because he got all his levels, otherwise Keegan would have scored more (even if by a hairbreadth)

SP Yuzuru vs Keegan:

FCSp 0.96 vs 0.96

CSSp 0.96 (one +2, two +4 the rest +3, so goe 16/5*factorization) vs 0.83 but lv3(got one +1 and one +2, three +4 and the rest +3 so goe 16/5*factorization)

CCoSp 1.33 vs 1.40

in the FS it looks like Keegan got more (despite getting one lv3)

Yuzuru vs Keegan

FCCoSp 0.77 vs 1.08(lv3)

CCoSp 1.26 vs 1.33

Third spin was different but same bv 0.90 vs 0.90

so mostly Keegan was scored a bit better, especially on flying camel, considering the gap despite lost level. Yuzuru got mostly +2 on the flying camel and no +5 on any spin, Keegan got only one +2 and one +1 across all 3 spins, the rest +3 +4 (and one +5).

I should rewatch for the other bullets, but I don't think anyone would kill anyone for a claim about Keegan's spins :laughing:

but also, I don't think the breakdown is particularly shocking either... the issue with the core bullets is, as usual, what you count as "good". Once you set the bar you can't reward e.g. "exceptional speed" more than "good" (of course, assuming the bar is set at same level for all skaters)

Eta: personally what I love the most of Yuzu's spins is how well they fit with music, starting from entry to exit, no matter the program. Of course he can also be crazily fast on them, tho sometimes he isn't...

(Now I need a moment to mourn the absence of sit twizzles into spin sob everything else was so amazing but I miss them:smiley-sad021:)

Eta2: ok I also love his beautiful positions (ok...maybe minus the A spin). There are some spins out there that, no matter difficulty and all the other qualities, just look aesthetically not pleasing to me...

Don't kill me but the position that resembles Rodin's The thinker (idk how spins are called, ok?) is one of them, or some sit and upright variations...

@LadyLouI'm really curious of what you mean for Rodin's the thinker...you mean this?because if you do it's a genius name LOL

https://twitter.com/aiko_jang/status/1088736704255602689/photo/2

I really really like this one even if my fave one is when he does the sit spin with his arms open wide(I agree about the A spin,not my fave either).

Far from being an expert but from home Keegan spins looked really fast and centered,he's not the most expressive kind of skater but I've always seen him as someone with amazing SS and and a mix of grace and power.

I know you were kidding but thinking there's someone better then Yuzuru at something just proves you're not a bunch of sheeps but thinking human beings!

@Old Cat Lady thsnk you for sharing your(and your BF) experience with us!

3 hours ago, mercedes said:

@LadyLouI'm really curious of what you mean for Rodin's the thinker...you mean this?because if you do it's a genius name LOL

I really really like this one even if my fave one is when he does the sit spin with his arms open wide(I agree about the A spin,not my fave either).

Far from being an expert but from home Keegan spins looked really fast and centered,he's not the most expressive kind of skater but I've always seen him as someone with amazing SS and and a mix of grace and power.

I know you were kidding but thinking there's someone better then Yuzuru at something just proves you're not a bunch of sheeps but thinking human beings!

@Old Cat Lady thsnk you for sharing your(and your BF) experience with us!

I'm still in the middle of the editing process of Yuzu's spin collection video and my impression is:

Among all basic positions (upright, camel, sit) Yuzu's biggest strength are definitely sit spins. The sheer number and diversity of really strong and aesthetically nice positions is amazing. When he's on, he can spin fast and center it well, too. Unfortunately this is not always the case (yeah, ACI 2018... :P). Overall I'd say that his sit spins were better in the short than in the free programs (there was probably more energy left in the tank). What I really like, are the special features like the latest up-and-down spin, the one-foot-jump in Otonal and of course the gorgeous arm/hand/finger movements.

Yuzu's camel spins are nice (I'm a fan of his doughnut), but there is not that much of a variety in positions and the speed is so-so. On the other hand the difficult entries like travelling camel, death drop, butterfly, sit twizzle etc. are real beauties. The change of edge looks fine, too. So I'm satisfied with the camels.

His upright/layback spins are honestly not the best. His Biellmann was pretty slow, travelling across the ice and he couldn't hold it that long in many competitions. His best attempt was probably in H&L at Worlds 2017. It was well centered with good acceleration and nice exit. The A spin is my personal enemy (sorry, Yuzu) and his scratch spins and crossfoot spins often lack speed.

If I had to pick the best spinners in different categories (men only):

Best upright/layback spins: Adam Rippon

Only acceptable A spin (crossfoot): Shoma Uno

Best layback Biellmann: Michael Martinez

Best camel/Biellmann: Jason Brown

Best sit spins: Yuzuru Hanyu (though I like Deniss Vasiljevs' rare sit position, too)

Best speed/centering: Keegan Messing

Best entries/transitions/features: Yuzuru Hanyu

EDIT: I've been following this sport regularly since the 16/17 season, so I've probably missed a couple bunch of amazing spinners in the past. I know that Lambiel for example is famous for strong spins, but I haven't watched his competitive programs yet (gomen Stephane).

3 hours ago, mercedes said:

I wish I could claim I have come up with a genius name but it wasn't that, that looks very nice to me because Yuzu goes very low (usually very fast too).

The one I'm thinking about is more done by skaters with less flexibility (often men, I'd say) e.g. Javier, iirc Patrick? Maybe I've seen it from Nathan too? I'm not sure... they kinda sit but not quite so that "am I sitting? Am I not?" looks awkward to me 😅 in general it looks to me like they're very stressed doing it lmao I'll search for some vids. There's nothing wrong with it technically and I'm guessing some people may love it, I just have bad mental association with it (and tbh even if I'm comparing with Rodin, that sculpture looks far from awkward to me, but for some reason the spin position reminds me of the sculpture but with the additional awkwardness...🤣)

OT (lmao all the post is OT :81:)

@Henni147 a good feature Yuzuru has in his camel, IMO, is that he really keeps leg/torso very straight and aligned (and tbh camel akways looks "better" with long-legged people lol)

If we want to nitpick, when he catches his foot he "breaks" the lines, briefly, while I think some other skaters (iirc e.g. Petr G? Not sure) manage to catch their foot more effortlessly. I would say it's easier for boys (and girls) who still have lots of flexibility... a thing I really appreciate is that Yuzuru never leaves the camel spin "bare" but tries to sync hands/arms moves with music

Yuzuru has unavoidably lost "a bit" of flexibility with adulthood (and bulking his muscles so he could train harder jumps/injury prevention) e.g. in his combo spin in non-basic position he doesn't pull the foot above his head anymore. But he is still more flexible than most men...and a few ladies too.

His upright, true, usually isn't as fast, but also, IMO it depends a lot on stamina. And other things too. In COR Origin for example he was spinning really fast, idk if it was the intensity of going all out despite the injury or merely the accumulated result of his training. In the FaOI encore he was also pretty fast

My fave Yuzu A variations are in lgc and Olympic ballade (where they were also pretty fast, in Ballade with unusual arm position). I think I might rate the Origin one as my 3rd fave? Lol, still, I love his sit more, and there are other A spins I think look better...

My most fave Yuzu Biellman is H&L too (and NS), mostly because of the way he so seamlessly dropped his leg...so soft, so gentle (noooo now I miss the Biellman too😭). Compared to the Biellman from ladies it wasn't that good, but it is pretty rare for a man to do it to begin with. Agreed that MCM's was better. I don't remember how Tomoki's looked like...

ETA: I'm pretty sure there are more than just a couple of amazing spinners in the past 😁 just heads up in case other people hear this and feel offended😅

IMO Stephanie's spins are amazing because the speed is so insane and he goes on for so long😱 the headless one (not sure what's the official name lmao) is both a bit creepy and amazing. I am not sure if I remember the greatest variety tbh, but they are amazing to watch...

23 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

I wish I could claim I have come up with a genius name but it wasn't that, that looks very nice to me because Yuzu goes very low (usually very fast too).

The one I'm thinking about is more done by skaters with less flexibility (often men, I'd say) e.g. Javier, iirc Patrick? Maybe I've seen it from Nathan too? I'm not sure... they kinda sit but not quite so that "am I sitting? Am I not?" looks awkward to me 😅 in general it looks to me like they're very stressed doing it lmao I'll search for some vids. There's nothing wrong with it technically and I'm guessing some people may love it, I just have bad mental association with it (and tbh even if I'm comparing with Rodin, that sculpture looks far from awkward to me, but for some reason the spin position reminds me of the sculpture but with the additional awkwardness...🤣)

The spin in the Twitter link is called broken leg spin. I'm not sure, if it's the same that Javi and others do.

Agree with you in all points. The A spins in LGC and Chopin were acceptable, indeed.

I was a bit MIA after the men's free skate because it was a bit too much after that. I enjoyed Yuzu's programs a lot and was happy to see them again so much. He skated really well at his first competition this season. I think it was the best Origin performance-wise that we've seen from him, the more I watch it the more and more I love it. The e little details he added to the program are so nice (for example the violin playing was really interesting to see, liked the different analysis on twitter today), His attention to his arm and hand movements were so beautiful to watch. 

The judging at this event made me so mad, I don't even want to say that much, everything has been said already anyway. Inconsistent UR calls are one thing but calling clean jumps is really something new...:thumbsdown:I disagreed with the PCS too especially because Yuzu really did so well in the free skate. They are always so strict with him and they never give the benefit of the doubt.

I'm also curious about how judges will score PCS later, the new definiton of serious mistake(s) is extremely vague and since it doesn't give a clear answer what is a serious mistake (or mistakes), it can give opportunity for the judges to apply it leniently when it comes to some skaters. 

It was good that Yuzu at least talked about the UR calls, it was the first time he talked about calls this way. It's also good that TCC (Orser) was outraged about the calls too. I can only wish now that things will get better somehow (yes, that's the optimist in me saying that). All I can do as a fan is to support Yuzu and believe in him. :) 

The costumes...I loved them, especially Origin. It's mysterious and dark but in a different way than Origin 1, ahe details on it, the flowers and butterflies are so pretty. The colour also looks great on him. It's just a coincidence but I realised it's the same colour that Edvin Marton had on the album cover that contains Art on Ice and Magic Stradivarius too:

Spoiler

I am sure it was very enjoyable to watch Yuzu for those who were there in the arena, I hope you all had fun who were there. His presence is so big you can clearly see it in the stream too. I can't imagine how good it can be to see his skating in a small arena like that in ACI. :) 

9 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I am sure it was very enjoyable to watch Yuzu for those who were there in the arena, I hope you all had fun who were there. His presence is so big you can clearly see it in the stream too. I can't imagine how good it can be to see his skating in a small arena like that in ACI. :) 

Yes to all of the above :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: His presence is really something :8788161:

On 9/17/2019 at 3:13 AM, shanshani said:

On 9/17/2019 at 4:19 AM, LadyLou said:

SP Yuzuru vs Keegan:

FCSp 0.96 vs 0.96

CSSp 0.96 (one +2, two +4 the rest +3, so goe 16/5*factorization) vs 0.83 but lv3(got one +1 and one +2, three +4 and the rest +3 so goe 16/5*factorization)

CCoSp 1.33 vs 1.40

in the FS it looks like Keegan got more (despite getting one lv3)

Yuzuru vs Keegan

FCCoSp 0.77 vs 1.08(lv3)

CCoSp 1.26 vs 1.33

Third spin was different but same bv 0.90 vs 0.90

so mostly Keegan was scored a bit better, especially on flying camel, considering the gap despite lost level. Yuzuru got mostly +2 on the flying camel and no +5 on any spin, Keegan got only one +2 and one +1 across all 3 spins, the rest +3 +4 (and one +5).

TBH, I didn't look that closely at the scoring sheets beyond Yuzu but I finally took another look.

Composite GOE's were

Yuzu:

fcsp4 - FS = 3

Cssp4 - FS = 3.2

Ccosp4 - FS = 3.8

Fssp4 - SP = 3

Fcssp4 - SP = 3

Ccosp4 - SP = 3.6

Keegan:

Fssp4 - FS = 3

Fccosp3 - FS = 3.6

Ccosp4 - fs = 3.8

fcsp4 - SP = 3

cssp3 - SP = 3.19

Ccosp4 - SP = 4

Keegan did get very slightly higher GOE for a couple of his spins. I like Yuzu's spins for their musicality but Keegan's were so much faster.  Haven't compared them that closely (because I really don't like Keegan's programs), but I think Keegan's spins looked more controlled as well. Most of Yuzu's traveled slightly.

However, looking at the bullets, I guess it really depends on how you define the creativity and/or originality bullet as well as element matches the music.  Yuzu definitely has that over Keegan but some people might give "element matches the music" as long as the element is in an appropriate place in the music and some people might expect the actual element to suit the music.  Same with originality - some people might give it to Yuzu for the extra touches and some people might be expecting a whole different position to get that.  Even "effortless" is somewhat ambiguous - can it still be considered "effortless" if there are minor problems but it doesn't look labored or are minor problems considered a sign of struggle?  I would give Keegan speed, effortlessness, and centering over Yuzu but, as LadyLou already mentioned, the bullets don't account for differentiating between an acceptable level vs. exceptional level.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:01 AM, Old Cat Lady said:

Thanks for dragging me along.  I had a really good time” :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

Your bf cracks me up!! Great to know he enjoyed himself. His comment about Yuzu's shirt is hilarious. 

Agree with you about Keegan's spins - among the top men, his are the most spectacular because of the speed. And the position he gets into for the sit spin is nothing short of incredible. However, he doesn't have as much variety of positions, entries, etc as some of the other skaters, I find.  

I feel like, with November Rain, Keegan chose music that suits his style of skating rather than picking something he had to interpret. So you make a good observation. Also, I don't want to rag on him too much about this, but he could try a little harder with the costumes. What he's wearing right now just screams 'I need more funding! I can't afford costumes!' in my opinion. 

On 9/17/2019 at 4:50 PM, sallycinnamon said:

The most striking thing, at least at ACI, is the way the crowd follows and instantly obeys even the tiniest gesture from him. Case in point: the Pooh-throwing. He literally holds the audience in the palm of his hand out there on the ice. Charisma doesn't even begin to cover it - he really, truly, is the King out there.