Who are your favorite actors and actresses?

makebelieveup

I dont know if this thread has been open or if this is a good place to open, so admins and mods please feel free to take it down if it isnt. 

---

I have a lot of favorite actors and actresses (mostly east asians) since I grew up watching asian dramas. Some of them purely based on looks, some on acting, and some on both. 

In no particular order

- Leslie Cheung (Hong Kong) both

- Zhu Yi Long (China) both 

- Sun Li (China) Acting

- Zhao LiYing (China) Both

- Xiao Zhan (China) Looks but will watch his drama to judge..heard he is good 

- Maggie Cheung Ho Yee (Hong Kong) acting

- Julian Cheung (Hong Kong) Both

- Louis Koo (Hong Kong) Looks

- Selina Lee (Hong Kong) Both

- Liu Yi Fei (China) looks

- Jiang Qin Qin (China) Both

- Erika Sawajiri (Japan) Both but I dont like her personality 

- Kento Yamazaki (Japan) Looks

- Miura Harauma (Japan) Both

- Sota Fukushi (Japan) Looks

- Kentaro Sataguchi (Japan) Looks

- Suzu Hiroshe (Japan) Looks

- Tokiwa Takako (Japan) Looks

- Keiko Kitagawa (Japan) Looks

- Kyoko Fukada (Japan) Looks

- Mai Davika (Thailand) Looks

- Min Peechaya (Thailand) Looks

- Mario Maurer (Thailand) Looks

- Won Bin (Korean) Both

- Yoo Seung Ho (Korean) Both

- Jang Dong Gun (Korean) Both

- Ji Jang Wook (Korean) Both

- Yeol Jin Goo (Korean) Acting

- Park Shin Hye (Korean) Both

okay so I can conclude a few things about myself: 1. I like a lot more male actors 2. I am very shallow 3. I am old, look at all these older actors and actresses

truth is I have so many more favorites but that would make this list too long. Now I want to know about your list! Please share

I don't think I have many actors or actresses that I truly love for what they do. I have few favourites that I tend to watch movies based on their appearances but I don't know if I truly like the actor for who they are off screen. To me, actors and actresses can project images of different characters and humans in different situations. So depending on the characters they portray, my view of the actor/actress can change quite drastically. That is why I don't really know if I like the actor/actress for who they really are or that is based on the roles they play on screen. I can't make my mind up...

I'd like to think a bit more and go down the memory lane few times before I bring up some names. Like I said, I have few favs but I don't know if I love their acting or just their appearances on few movies...so I will come back after some assignment that I'm doing (I've just checked to see what's going on in PH while I'm having a break).

I'm into period and older movies, and will cheerfully admit that my favourite actress of all time -?

Margaret Rutherford, elderly British actress who looked like a bulldog, dressed like a parcel badly tied up with odd string, and was the best thing about so many of her movies... her Madam Arcati in Blithe Spirit is quite possibly my favourite film character of all time.

I love Viola Davis....her movie roles are so authentic and gutwrenching...she can convey emotion with just her eyes...so incredibly talented.

She is also highly intelligent and literally came from poverty ...rags to riches through her own hard work.  

I am in awe of her talent ...if she is in a movie..I know it will be good

I enjoy Amy Adams acting as well.

I like Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry series and the western spagetti series.  He is also a very good director.

However, I think he is a sleazebag as a person: asking his partner to get multiple abortions, children with a multitude of women. 

That strikes me as a cavalier attitude towards taking responsibility for birth control.

• 4 weeks later...

Spoiler

On 8/6/2019 at 7:03 PM, makebelieveup said:

Kento Yamazaki (Japan) Looks

Yes! And I can't get over the fact I am not able to find Kingdom anywhere on the internet...

Ji Jang Wook (Korean) Both

Yes! I loved him in Healer. Other things didn't impress me so much, but Healer is my all-time favorite. One of the first asian dramas I've ever watched.

Yoo Seung Ho (Korean) Both

OMG, yes! He is so talented. And he can cry. Charming.. and his eyes.... I love his acting. I think, he is my favorite actor to date.

Yeol Jin Goo (Korean) Acting

Oh, and him too! 

My other favorites:

- Deng Lun (China)  good actor and he has some charisma (and he won me over with his singing - not many actors record their own OST)

- Park Seo Joon (Korean) - I think he is a good actor, but he doesn't have many good roles

- Lee Jong Suk (Korean) - He can act. And he is kind of cute.

- Yang Yang (China) - I saw him first in Love O2O and didn't think much about him, but then I saw Martial Universe and I knew he is incredibly talented as It took me several episodes to realize it is the same actor. He can really change his character! 

- Park Bo Gum and Kim Yoo Jung (Korean) - they were so great together in Love in the Moonlight! Their acting doesn't need any words. They just change expression and you know what is happening. Loved their acting, very very much. 

- Kim So Hyun (Korean) - I have too much male actors in here. And she is great.

Jang Dong Gun (Korean) Both

I forgot. I loved him in Arthdal, haven't seen him anywhere else.

And Song Joong Ki is a given, when I mention Arthdal. He was excelent!

Yeah, my list is a bit too long. :facepalm: I watch a lot of asian drama, as you see.

4 hours ago, 4Nessie said:

Hide contents

Yes! And I can't get over the fact I am not able to find Kingdom anywhere on the internet...

Yes! I loved him in Healer. Other things didn't impress me so much, but Healer is my all-time favorite. One of the first asian dramas I've ever watched.

OMG, yes! He is so talented. And he can cry. Charming.. and his eyes.... I love his acting. I think, he is my favorite actor to date.

Oh, and him too! 

My other favorites:

- Deng Lun (China)  good actor and he has some charisma (and he won me over with his singing - not many actors record their own OST)

- Park Seo Joon (Korean) - I think he is a good actor, but he doesn't have many good roles

- Lee Jong Suk (Korean) - He can act. And he is kind of cute.

- Yang Yang (China) - I saw him first in Love O2O and didn't think much about him, but then I saw Martial Universe and I knew he is incredibly talented as It took me several episodes to realize it is the same actor. He can really change his character! 

- Park Bo Gum and Kim Yoo Jung (Korean) - they were so great together in Love in the Moonlight! Their acting doesn't need any words. They just change expression and you know what is happening. Loved their acting, very very much. 

- Kim So Hyun (Korean) - I have too much male actors in here. And she is great.

I forgot. I loved him in Arthdal, haven't seen him anywhere else.

And Song Joong Ki is a given, when I mention Arthdal. He was excelent!

Yeah, my list is a bit too long. :facepalm: I watch a lot of asian drama, as you see.

If you like Jang Dong Gun check out "A Gentleman's Dignity"  He was marvellous in it.

Ui this is tough... I'll just try and throw some names out!:

David Tennant: my favourite doctor and one of the few actors where I watched stuff that I normally wouldn't watch just because he's in it. He is that good. 

Christian Bale: best batman there is was or will be in the foreseeable future. Sadly he does a lot of movies etc where I have no interest in the story 

Shah rukh khan: king of Bollywood need I say more... He can bring me to tears so easily 

Ian McKellen.... Legend...

Patrick Stuart: the reason I watched any Episodes of ST:TNG and even some if it's films. 

Sato takeru: the perfekt kenshin! He makes me consider watching the live action of inuyashiki and I have successfully avoided that Manga for a while 

Benedict Cumberbatch: yep BBC Sherlock fan here... 

Johnny Depp: the man may or may not be a disaster but his acting is damn brilliant 

Viggo Mortensen: Aragon! Sadly another one where quite a bit of his work is not my cup of tea. 

Hugh Jackman:Logan! Plus he can do musicals! And he seems a nice bloke. 

Mark Harmon: the biggest reason to watch NCIS. 

Christopher Lee gets a honorable mention since I haven't seen him in much other than LOTR but the man put out 2 metal albums in his 90s! And they are quite good. 

ETA: how could I forget Hugo Weaving!! Elrond, Agent Smith, V damn the man is good! 

Oh time flies...it's been nearly a month since I've posted to say I'll come back. August was rather emotional month for me as my friend's husband whom I knew quite well had passed away as well as our beloved family dog... Also on more positive note, I've finally secured a permanent position at work after sitting on the position as a contractor over 4 years. Anyway, first things first.

The actors/actresses I love/loved/loving:

Aidan Turner: Being Human and Poldark (BBC) He's also played one of the hobbits in The Hobbit - I love his Irish dark handsome look

Ken Takakura: He was a huge star back in 60's (by Wikipedia) playing old school yakuza (ninkyo) series. I liked characters he portrayed

Eric Bana: He started as a standup comedian but later the acting career took off after appearing in The Castle and then Chopper. I love his sense of humour and tall, dark & handsome look (Aidan Turner is in the same category) :D

Sir Patrick Stewart: I love him as Captain Jean-Luc Picard  :animated-smileys-aliens-070: and Professor Xavier. I like him and Ian McKellen (and Hugh Jackman) having great fun on The Graham Norton Show 

Hugh Laurie: As an actor, I love his Dr House and also as a comedian, with his comedy partner Stephen Fry, I love them in Blackadder series :horse-poop:

Mark Harmon: Gibbs Gibbs Gibbs!! I love this guy:img_20:

Yusaku Matsuda: He's that young yakuza in the Black Rain along with Michael Douglas. He was a very charismatic actor and is a legend

Uma Thurman: Kiddo! :10742290: She can kick ass!

Robert Downey Jr: Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes :scratch3:

Morgan Freeman: He's either God or a president these days...

Colin Firth: Mr Darcy and Mark Darcy and Harry (Kingsman)  

Gerard Butler: I love Gerry's crazy man character :D

Jamie Dornan: He's Mr Grey. :graucho: I like him in The Fall as well (a serial killer)

Liam Neeson: "I will look for you. I WILL find you" Oh he's just...:tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw:

Kate Beckinsale: She's got cult following with Underworld series but like her dad (was famous comedian), she loves prank:sin:

I forgot the non-asian actors! Sorry guys! :68468287:

Oh yes, Colin Firth (my favorite J.Austen guy and all his other roles... :7938863:).

Viggo Mortensen - because Aragorn was cool!

Sean Bean - he is simply exquisite

And I have to mention Heath Ledger. He was my high-school favorite actor. Charming and sweet and I think his acting was great. It is sad he died so young. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

I have so many the list could go on for pages.  Here are some:

Spoiler

Errol Flynn - Let me just gaze in adoration at him swashing all those buckles!

David Niven - Great actor and author of possibly my most favourite book ever about the golden days of Hollywood "The Moon's a Balloon".

Stewart Granger - For the smouldering.

Gary Cooper - Because he's gorgeous.

Tyrone Power - Love a man in a cape!....and ZORO!

Judy Garland - Fabulous in anything.

Jack Lemmon - Blew me away in "Some Like it Hot"

Ingrid Bergman - That voice!

Ava Gardner - That body!  Massive girl crush.

Helen Mirren - Makes getting older look easy.

Richard Gere - Most romantic of actors.

William Shatner - Original Kirk but I didn't say he could act!

Jeff Goldblum - And his glasses.

Alan Rickman - Voice again and super actor.

Farrah Fawcett Majors - For that hair alone.

Emma Thompson - Again her voice.

Marisa Tomei - Smoky voiced.

Harrison Ford - For the "I know".

David Tennant - Absorbs each role.

Jeon Ji Hyeon - Whether a full of herself actress or a mermaid.  My other female crush.

Kim Soo Hyeun - My Man from the Star and my first Drama.

Yoo Ah In - The most beautiful voice (I could just listen to him speak) and amazing in "Secret Love Affair".

Gong Hyo Jin - Just about my favourite Korean actress.  Brilliant in "It's OK that's Love".

IU - Lee Ji Euh - Such talent.

Seo In Gook - Hilarious in "Shopping King Louie".

Park Seo Joon - Would look good in anything and act his socks off too.

Yeo Jin-Goo - Been following his career for a while.  Love him to bits.

Yoon Shi Yoon -  Liked his earlier work best.

Kim Jae Wook - Best gay bakery employee.

Shin Seong Rok - The nuttier his character the more I love it.

So Ji Sub - Cheesy but I still fall.

Shin Min Ah - For the cheekbones and smile.

Ji Chang Wook - Coming soon....frozen!

Jo In Seong - One of the best actors of his generation.  Stunning to watch him emote.  Also great in "It's OK that's Love"

Ji Sung - How many personalities in him can I deal with.  All of them - they were fabulous! 

Gong yoo - For the coffee.

Lee Da Hee - WWW was one of the best drams's this year.

Kim So Hyun - Because of "Let's Fight Ghost"

Park Min Yeong - Everything she's in turns to GOLD.

Choi Jin Hyeok - That smoky voice.

Lee Jong Seok - Keeps changing his nose - but I still love him.

Yoo In Na - Another one who's face keeps changing.  Still like her though.

Yoon Park - The full package.

Park Bo Geom - "Love in the Moonlight" and "Boyfriend" :img_21:

Hwang Jung Emu - Secret was fab.

Ji Hyun Woo - So beautiful in "Queen In-Hyuns Man".

Rain - from Cheesy to a really good actor.  Ab fab in "Welcome 2 Life".

Yan Aaron - Refreshing.

Yang Yang - The games took over for a week or two!

Kentario Ito - Young but extremely sweet 

Ah - substitute Paul Newman for Brando and I’d agree with you - pity Conrad couldn’t inject any of that Brando broodiness into his On the waterfront FS but he’s probably a bit young.

Ladies - the great British Dames - Maggie and Judi.  And a word for no 2 sons great crush Kristen Scott Thomas who we saw in The Audience in the west end and was amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooof, favorite actors/actresses questions always stump me :huh:, it's not like I don't care for movies it's TV shows that I rarely care about, I mean not that I cannot enjoy them it's just that... the thought of following a TV show closely often overwhelms me :/...as it turns out I don't intensely consume movies on my own as I do with music. But let's try how many actors I can broadly least as my favorites or used to be ;þ

Peter Falk — most recent actor that caught my mind I think, he was simply delightful in Columbo <3

Peter Capaldi — I first saw him in The Hour AGKSJAHSJSJSK WHY THE HECK THAT SHOW WAS CANCELLED BBC AKAKDJKSHWHSKSH he was a presence to reckon, I don't care what others say but I love his Doctor.

David Tennant — it's either him or Peter, I enjoyed him first in Doctor Who but I also enjoy him in Jessica Jones (he was such a maniac in that one! :smiley-devil:).

Ben Whishaw — I was first aware of him when I watched Skyfall, I just love him being the new Q. He is also the reason why I started watching The Hour. One day I was browsing the Ben Whishaw tag on tumblr and stumbled upon photos of the show and simply try watching it.

Pierce Brosnan — speaking of James Bond movies, the first Bond I know and love <3 (still!) I mean sure Daniel Craig has better Bond movies but blonde Bond just rubs me the wrong way :/. I also love him in the Around the World in Eighty Days miniseries (he just looks so dashing in it as Phileas Fogg 😍)

...and I guess that's it. I don't have any favorite actress(es) in particular, if I enjoyed the movie they are in then I enjoyed their performance most of the time ;þ . I definitely appreciate those who are particularly decent people (eg. active in a charity/cause, well-educated, etc.), but there hasn't been anyone that really latched onto my mind (I guess I just haven't watched movies closely enough ._.)

On 8/7/2019 at 2:03 AM, makebelieveup said:

I dont know if this thread has been open or if this is a good place to open, so admins and mods please feel free to take it down if it isnt. 

---

I have a lot of favorite actors and actresses (mostly east asians) since I grew up watching asian dramas. Some of them purely based on looks, some on acting, and some on both. 

In no particular order

- Leslie Cheung (Hong Kong) both

- Zhu Yi Long (China) both 

- Sun Li (China) Acting

- Zhao LiYing (China) Both

- Xiao Zhan (China) Looks but will watch his drama to judge..heard he is good 

- Maggie Cheung Ho Yee (Hong Kong) acting

- Julian Cheung (Hong Kong) Both

- Louis Koo (Hong Kong) Looks

- Selina Lee (Hong Kong) Both

- Liu Yi Fei (China) looks

- Jiang Qin Qin (China) Both

- Erika Sawajiri (Japan) Both but I dont like her personality 

- Kento Yamazaki (Japan) Looks

- Miura Harauma (Japan) Both

- Sota Fukushi (Japan) Looks

- Kentaro Sataguchi (Japan) Looks

- Suzu Hiroshe (Japan) Looks

- Tokiwa Takako (Japan) Looks

- Keiko Kitagawa (Japan) Looks

- Kyoko Fukada (Japan) Looks

- Mai Davika (Thailand) Looks

- Min Peechaya (Thailand) Looks

- Mario Maurer (Thailand) Looks

- Won Bin (Korean) Both

- Yoo Seung Ho (Korean) Both

- Jang Dong Gun (Korean) Both

- Ji Jang Wook (Korean) Both

- Yeol Jin Goo (Korean) Acting

- Park Shin Hye (Korean) Both

okay so I can conclude a few things about myself: 1. I like a lot more male actors 2. I am very shallow 3. I am old, look at all these older actors and actresses

truth is I have so many more favorites but that would make this list too long. Now I want to know about your list! Please share

I'm also more familiar with asian actors and actresses! This is one really tops list btw. 

I've realised that more than looks or acting skills, it's really the role I first see them in that decides if I like them a lot or not? Hence, 

- Kim Nam Gil (Bidam in The Great Queen Seon Deok) 

- Luo Yunxi (The Night Immortal in Ashes of Love)

- Matsuda Shota (Akiyama in Liar Game, the very first jdrama I watched) 

- Furukawa Yuki (Irie Naoki in Itazura na Kiss: Love in Tokyo - I can't help it being my guilty pleasure)

I've also realised that 1. I don't follow enough female actresses 2. I am super shallow 3. I.. need to get into classic films and netflix TvT