Poll - When/How did you become a fan of Yuzu?

When did you became a fan of Yuzuru?  

601 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Welcome here @Hope_and_Legacy! Great first post, I always like reading about how people get into Yuzu's skating. :)  It's really nice that you, without knowing much about figure skating, were drawn in by his beautiful jumps. He is that special!

I hope you will enjoy being here!

Thanks!!! I already love it here! And you're absolutely correct: he's just that special. Arigatou gozaimashita! :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Welcome @Hope_and_Legacy, love your username ;) Hope you enjoy it here!! 

Thank you so much! Honestly, I had such a hard time coming up with a username, because I wanted to  commemorate one of Yuzuru-kun's programs, but all of them are so amazing!!!! In the end I settled on H&L because a) it's one of my most beloved ones (but I still love all of them!) and b) the name that Yuzuru-kun gave it and the passion he poured into it! Thanks again for welcoming me here; I appreciate it!!! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw:

3 hours ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Hi, um, I'm new here, so this is going to be awkward...:rofl3:But, anyway, I hope it's okay for me to share my story here! It's nothing special like all the other stories everyone else has. Before just a few months ago, I wasn't a fan of figure skating. I never liked any sports besides badminton, but even then I never watched it. And I don't have any social media, so I'm actually never up-to-date on anything. 

Anyways, my earliest memory of anything remotely close to it is when my family went on a sort of reunion thing, and we dined at a restaurant. I was somewhere between 10-15? years old at that time, so I don't clearly remember much. Whatever the case, normally I don't pay any mind to the TVs since it's just news or football/soccer (sorry, not sorry), but interestingly, this one was an exception. The TV was playing an ice dance competition, I think, because I can remember watching the Shibutani siblings skating. I really can't remember anything about the skate, but I was impressed by what they did. Unfortunately, while it left a good impression, it wasn't enough for me to actually become an invested fan. Sorry, Alex and Maia!!!!! :sorry:

Life went on, and pretty soon I completely forgot about my interest, and I also got busy with school and health issues. Big events like 2017 World Championships in Helsinki and the Olympics came and went without my knowledge, which I highly regret!!!! Silly little me thought all sports were utterly crazy and unpleasant to watch. I didn't even know figure skating was a sport.....:headdesk2: Honestly, I wasn't a bright kid, heh heh heh...

It was early this year when it all began, I guess. I had more time on my hands, with what was going on, so I started browsing Youtube for things to do. And, of all things, what do I find on my recommendations??? 

F I G U R E   S K A T I N G

And I though, "Nani? I don't watch ice skating. I've only ever watched art and craft videos, so what in the world?" (I know what y'all are thinking....I thought it was ice skating...:happy0007:) Anyhow, I was curious, but not enough to click on any of the videos. Again, regret of a lifetime! Then, I saw this one video titled, "Rare & Unusual Jumps in Figure Skating," and I was like, "Wait, you jump in figure skating? That sounds cool!" So I clicked on it....

....and guess who was featured? There were actually several skaters, both famous and not, who made appearances, but the one that stuck with me the most......

....was him: Hanyu Yuzuru himself

I still stay up at night wondering why. The video talked about jumps in figure skating that were so difficult or worth less points that skaters rarely attempted them, and of course the 4Lo was included, and as the one who ratified it, Yuzuru-kun was shown landing the jump. But why did he stand out to me? Frankly, IDK. Maybe it was because he's Japanese, and I really liked the way his name sounded. And some of the clips shown were not the most clear since they were from a while ago, so I couldn't really make out his face. But there was something different about the way he jumped. I think it might have been because he made it look effortless and gentle, and it really spoke to me. Furthermore, his 4T+3A was included, and the maker of the video wrote: 'Only Yuzu is crazy enough to attempt this in competition.' I was already drawn to the way he jumped, but hearing how brazen he was kind of was the final straw. I just had to search him up to see who he was. 

So I did, and I learned of all his achievements and records. The more I learned, the more amazed and interested I was, so I immediately went on Youtube to search up his performances. I remember his 2014 OG "Parisienne Walkways" being one of the first I saw. I was stunned by how skilled he was and how easy he made it all look. But really, for me, I think that the point of no return was when I watched his "Notte Stellata" from the Olympics. I was speechless, stunned beyond words could express. And I still am; I have no words to describe exactly how I felt. But other than the sheer beauty and otherworldliness that he radiated, another thing that spoke to me was what the program was: I learned from the comments section that he dedicated it to the victims of the 2011 disaster. I found out that he had fled from the rink in his skates, terrified and confused, and how he had persevered through it all to fulfill his dreams. 

And that, I think, was how I truly became his fan. Realizing how great his inner strength was and how much he had sacrificed to reach where he was shook me to the core. I thought, "This man is more than the greatest figure skater. He is something more, much more. He is someone I can always look to for inspiration and who will always remain a role model to me." And from there, the journey began. 

My sincere thanks to Yuzutea-san, the maker of that video that I mentioned, for bringing me to where I am now, and to all of you reading his for this incredible "planet" that I can call home. Although, um, sorry for the long rant??? 

Finally, I just have to say, arigatou gozaimashita, Yuzuru-kun, for everything. I truly hope that he will succeed in his dreams. :img_21:

awwww this was so sweet <3

you're not the only one who has landed on Yuzuru's planet after a torturous and unexpected road :biggrin: And you are right about Yuzuru being greater than FS. He is one of those larger-than-life figures, those people who can go beyond a sport, beyond nationality and speak to the heart of so many :10742289: I often say that he reminds me of the good things in mankind, because this exactly how I feel

Welcome and absolutely do not worry about long rants, you can rant to your heart's content whenever and for however long you want! We are all here for this: ranting, laughing, crying, going crazy and everything else!:loveshower:

5 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

awwww this was so sweet <3

you're not the only one who has landed on Yuzuru's planet after a torturous and unexpected road :biggrin: And you are right about Yuzuru being greater than FS. He is one of those larger-than-life figures, those people who can go beyond a sport, beyond nationality and speak to the heart of so many :10742289: I often say that he reminds me of the good things in mankind, because this exactly how I feel

Welcome and absolutely do not worry about long rants, you can rant to your heart's content whenever and for however long you want! We are all here for this: ranting, laughing, crying, going crazy and everything else!:loveshower:

Thank you so much!!! I was actually pretty nervous when I first joined the Planet, because I've never been in a fandom or anything like it, but with you and others liking and replying to my posts, I feel really encouraged! :67638860: Thanks for the support, it means so much to me!!! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

14 minutes ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Thank you so much!!! I was actually pretty nervous when I first joined the Planet, because I've never been in a fandom or anything like it, but with you and others liking and replying to my posts, I feel really encouraged! :67638860: Thanks for the support, it means so much to me!!! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

it might be hard to believe, but I hade never been in a fandom either, and I was super nervous when I joined this fandom. I started on another forum, but I was a bit shy here at first too, since I had just started getting into this sport for real and there were so many things I didn't know. Now I look at my post count and I'm :eeking: 

Yuzuru and this forum for sure made me quite talkative:laughing: and I do feel "safe" talking here

I'm happy that you feel safe in this environment too:grouphug:

Hello everybody! I am happy to join such a wonderful forum.
I have been watching figure skating since childhood, for 25 years. I liked many skaters at different times. For example, Plushenko and Lambiel. But I had never watched junior competitions before. Therefore, I did not know Yuzu at the time when he was a junior.
For many years I go to the Rostelecom Cup. But it so happened that I missed the 2010-2011 season in figure skating almost completely. And I didn’t go to Rostelecom in 2010, so I didn’t see the first performance of Yuzu in Russia, it’s a pity.

And then the fall of 2011 came and as always I went to the Rostelecom Cup. And there I saw Yuzu. It was like the sun, a hurricane, thunder and lightning at the same time! :)) The impressions are simply unbelievable! His plastic, his weightless leaps, his energy, his personality ... He was a very young boy, but his performance was already quite grown up. He did not execute programs, but lived in them. It seemed that he gives himself completely to ice and the audience. Already on a free program, I realized that now I am a fan of this unique boy. :))
And then the 2012 World Cup happened, and the famous Romeo and Juliet happened in a free program. And it was a new huge shock. Unique performance on emotions and impressions! It was my personal point of no return. :))) And absolutely beautiful and charming Yuzu at the award ceremony.

I watch many recordings of Yuzu’s speeches on YouTube, his interview, and any information about him. His worthy deeds, his behavior, his beautiful manners and interesting interviews only add love and respect to him. It is amazing on and off the ice. He is a phenomenon in sports. I love to watch his performances, this is the peak of beauty in figure skating. And 02/14/2014 and 02/17/2018 are real holidays for me. :)

19 minutes ago, Laura said:

I have been watching figure skating since childhood, for 25 years. I liked many skaters at different times. For example, Plushenko and Lambiel. But I had never watched junior competitions before. Therefore, I did not know Yuzu at the time when he was a junior.
For many years I go to the Rostelecom Cup. But it so happened that I missed the 2010-2011 season in figure skating almost completely. And I didn’t go to Rostelecom in 2010, so I didn’t see the first performance of Yuzu in Russia, it’s a pity.

And then the fall of 2011 came and as always I went to the Rostelecom Cup. And there I saw Yuzu. It was like the sun, a hurricane, thunder and lightning at the same time! :)) The impressions are simply unbelievable! His plastic, his weightless leaps, his energy, his personality ... He was a very young boy, but his performance was already quite grown up. He did not execute programs, but lived in them. It seemed that he gives himself completely to ice and the audience. Already on a free program, I realized that now I am a fan of this unique boy. :))
And then the 2012 World Cup happened, and the famous Romeo and Juliet happened in a free program. And it was a new huge shock. Unique performance on emotions and impressions! It was my personal point of no return. :))) And absolutely beautiful and charming Yuzu at the award ceremony.

I watch many recordings of Yuzu’s speeches on YouTube, his interview, and any information about him. His worthy deeds, his behavior, his beautiful manners and interesting interviews only add love and respect to him. It is amazing on and off the ice. He is a phenomenon in sports. I love to watch his performances, this is the peak of beauty in figure skating. And 02/14/2014 and 02/17/2018 are real holidays for me. :)

How lucky, to have seen baby Romeo live! Welcome! 

35 minutes ago, Laura said:

Ah, now I am getting to see some people I know from other platforms - welcome indeed! :animated-smileys-hello-22:

2 hours ago, Laura said:

I hesitated for a long time.)))
Thanks for the kind words.

We are all just like cats, making our minds up in the doorways whether we want to go in or step out, aren’t we? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone... I’m like a really really new fan and my story of becoming a fan is quite simple.

I think I First saw Yuzuru in 2018 Olympic but I wasn’t a figure skating fan and I think I didn’t even pay attention to the competition but it was playing on tv and I have glanced and remembered liking his seimei costume. But that’s it.

Until recently (like beginning of July), because of the covid, I’m like trapped at home (like most people are) and have spent a crazy amount of time on YouTube. One day his Sochi Olympic SP video was recommended to me and I have nothing else to do so I clicked it. Absolutely love at first sight! His Parisienne walkways Is so unreal and I thought to myself, I need to see more of him! 

Then it’s just a matter of time and I followed him down the rabbit hole. Still trying to catch up with all his competitions and performances! But so far my favourites are Seimei (which he definitely seems like a powerful and magical onmyōji) Origin and Parisienne Walkways. 

I can’t wait to discover more about Yuzuru! He’s really amazing :) 

3 minutes ago, Rinnarsev said:

Hi everyone... I’m like a really really new fan and my story of becoming a fan is quite simple.

I think I First saw Yuzuru in 2018 Olympic but I wasn’t a figure skating fan and I think I didn’t even pay attention to the competition but it was playing on tv and I have glanced and remembered liking his seimei costume. But that’s it.

Until recently (like beginning of July), because of the covid, I’m like trapped at home (like most people are) and have spent a crazy amount of time on YouTube. One day his Sochi Olympic SP video was recommended to me and I have nothing else to do so I clicked it. Absolutely love at first sight! His Parisienne walkways Is so unreal and I thought to myself, I need to see more of him! 

Then it’s just a matter of time and I followed him down the rabbit hole. Still trying to catch up with all his competitions and performances! But so far my favourites are Seimei (which he definitely seems like a powerful and magical onmyōji) Origin and Parisienne Walkways. 

I can’t wait to discover more about Yuzuru! He’s really amazing :) 

Hi and welcome!:8122685: